Tank Mate Recommendations

Thanks for your recommends, here is my not tank for those interested
DSCF3432.jpg


Got the Tetra CO2 bubbler wotsit but it blocked after 3 days already :angry:
 
I really like the look of the rainbows but my Ph is 7.5 seems they like it a bit more acid, any thoughts anyone?

My rainbows of varying species, live in ph 7.8 and thrive, so your ph is fine for them, some of the species of rainbows have been found in the wild with a ph of 9.
 
I diasagree with not keeping the tiger barbs. If kept in a large enough group such as 6+ then you should be fine. But as said pentazona barbs are also good.
 
I diasagree with not keeping the tiger barbs. If kept in a large enough group such as 6+ then you should be fine. But as said pentazona barbs are also good.

Really? It would be cool to have tiger barb, I really like them. I'd get at least 6, but other posters say otherwise, now confused...

Thanks for confirmation minxfishy
 
i keep 3 pentazona barb used to have 6 but finrot killed them before it killed the neon tetras
imo there a pretty fish but a pretty weak fish
 
i keep 3 pentazona barb used to have 6 but finrot killed them before it killed the neon tetras
imo there a pretty fish but a pretty weak fish
Yes as above they aren't the hardiest fish make sure your tank is at least 4 months old before you add any. As with the tiger barbs the larger the group the better because the agression gets spread out in between the group therefore they shouldn't be as nippy. And a bigger shoal looks nicer too.
 
i keep 3 pentazona barb used to have 6 but finrot killed them before it killed the neon tetras
imo there a pretty fish but a pretty weak fish
Yes as above they aren't the hardiest fish make sure your tank is at least 4 months old before you add any. As with the tiger barbs the larger the group the better because the agression gets spread out in between the group therefore they shouldn't be as nippy. And a bigger shoal looks nicer too.


they dont do well in tanks with lots of light, mine didnt like 15 watts over 54 litres so i added loads of duckweed for shade.

pentazona barbs do prefer subdued lighting
 
Thanks all for the replys and advice.

Ended up getting 10x cardinal tetra's. Whilst not my fish of choice, the P. rainbow's the LFS had in were all female and I really wanted the mixed red / yellow blue colours of both sexes + my wife's first choice was the cardinal's. They look very bright and very cool against the plants, I would not have picked on my own but I think she made a good choice.

Talking of plants, I also picked up some dwarf grassy type plant (havnt a clue on the species but they look good). I got 6 bunches which equated to approx 80 plants when all split out - arm still aching from the planting but they do look uber with the cardinals.

Thanks again

Ben
 

Most reactions

Back
Top