Tank Mate Recommendations

BenPursglove

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 11, 2009
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Derbyshire, UK
Hi

Info first;
Juwel Rio 125 litre, 81 x 36 x 50cm. 2 x Baskets of Juwel ceramic media + the sponges in the filter. Ph: 7.5 stable, Ammo: 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 10-20. Twice weekly 20% gravel syphon water change routine. Fish healthy (so far not lost any thanks to advice followed from various threads on here :good:)
Current crew:
6 x Zebra Danio (not longfin)
3 x Gold Gourami, 1 male, 2 female - lovely colours
2 x Bristlenose Plecs, still small approx 6-7 cms, not sexed yet
Pics to follow if requested.

Now the question: what are good tank mates for my next fishy addition do you think? I don't want to be an idiot and add fish that look nice but won't get on in the group. Currently the 3 species co-exist very well, no bother at all.

Am looking for colourful interesting fish for the tank. Maybe a shoal maybe something larger. My problem is that I like the look of most fish I see at LFS and want em all but know that it can't be, lol.

Any advice from experienced keepers most welcome.
 
Thanks for the quick post truckasauras123.

I was really thinking about another species as I'd like another set of interest in the tank before I stock out.

Is there any particular reason why you say more danios?
 
i like odessa barbs i had some when i had my community tank.
 
Thanks Davo86, just looking them up now.

Do you think Tiger Barb will be OK in the tank? I think they are special looking.
 
Thanks Davo86, just looking them up now.

Do you think Tiger Barb will be OK in the tank? I think they are special looking.

It tends to become a case of trial and error where tiger barbs are concerned. in this case you may find they nip at the gouramis,
Pentazona barbs may be more ideal
 
another nice barb that often gets overlooked is pentazona barb. basicly just like a tiger barb but peaceful.

just read properly and seen davo was already quickl on the draw with the pentazonas. thats what an early finish and a few stellas does to yo lol
 
@ markandhisfish bring on the stella's :blink:

Thanks all for a quick positive replys.

I really like the look of the rainbows but my Ph is 7.5 seems they like it a bit more acid, any thoughts anyone?
 
If acclimatised correctly they should adapt and be ok, my workplace has a ph of 7.8 and the rainbows are thriving
 
Cool beans, some shoddy online info attributed to my post on ph for rainbows :huh:

Any other thoughts/experiences with tiger barbs then?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top