Tank Makeover

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Recently I have been looking at my fish tank and thinking 'Should I re-do my fish tank and re-home my fish and get a different bunch?'

I have a 36 litre lifespace aquarium it is tall. I have been told I can have 8 fish, but I need to know a good combination. I do want different species (small fish like guppies) that can live together with no problems. If it is neccesarly to get more than one then the highest of the same species for me would be 2. I do not want female livebeares because they have too many babies for me to handle!!

I would also like to know some good plants and foods.

Thanks

35 litres is a terribly small tank. I wouldn't recommend putting 8 fish in it.

I would recommend a few very small fish of one species like endlers and some shrimp. Sorry to burst your bubble, but 35L just isn't big enough for what you want to do.

Java fern and anubias are low maintenance plants that have always done well in my tank.

I think 8 fish in this 35 liter tank is doable but not the best way to define a stocking of a tank.

In small tanks like this - think at the very smallest of the spectrum of fish - the words pygmy and micro should be a main focus on the species you choose.

So things like Micro Rasbora - Galaxy, Chilli, Sparrow etc. Ember Tetras are a good choice. I dont agree with all the fish on this page (like the white clouds) but most are a good idea of fish for you to search for http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

For me in a 35 liter I think a good mix would be

2x Badis - preferably 1 male 1 female
5x Chilli Rasbora
2x Achor Catfish (Hara Hara)
3/4 Cherry Shrimp.

All tiny tiny fish, all take up different regions of the tank and a reasonable amount of colour in there - there are some amazing badis out there now Pyjamas are great as are some of the reds and blue ones. The shrimp are a good option as well as they take up little stocking space and really colour up a small tank.

As for plants - most of the easy ones will do well in here - valis is always a favorite of mine, swords are quite easy, hygrophelia is easy, java fern or anubias on wood is good as well.

Wills

Ok, I will look into that. Wills selection of fish is probably the one I will go for. What else do I need to keep these fish?

I have just looked at pictures of all of these fish on google and I think I would quite like that selection but the problem is....where do I get them because my lfs' do not have those species.

Ordering online will most likely be what you need to do, or ask your LFS to special order for you if they can.

Where abouts are you from? Might be able to point you in the direction of a seller.

Wills

hmmm dont know any of them around there - would Nottingham be too far to travel? Wharf Aquatics is excellent. But if you have a Maidenhead Aquatics near you they would be able to get hold of them.

Wills

+1 to Wharf - excellent shop and very knowledgeable staff...

Cheers

Danny B

I have seen that place in the yellow pages but the fish would not last very long in the bag and they would probably die on the journey as it will be stressfull for them and the temperature would not be right. And I would not billions of dead fish! Do you know if Oceon Commotion, Leicester Aquatics or Pets At Home would be able to order me some?

I travel to Wharf from Hull and fish are fine. Most of the fish in the stores have been posted or couriered for days at a time. So long as its a reputable shop like wharf you will be fine - just let them know about the travel and they can add extra oxygen to the bags and double bag them.

Wills

I have seen that place in the yellow pages but the fish would not last very long in the bag and they would probably die on the journey as it will be stressfull for them and the temperature would not be right. And I would not billions of dead fish! Do you know if Oceon Commotion, Leicester Aquatics or Pets At Home would be able to order me some?

have you checked local garden centres, i had no idea my local one had a massive aquatics centre inside!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back