The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phantom Thief

Population Control Volunteer
Reaction score
92cm (L) x 46cm (W) x 52cm (H)

36" x 18" x 20"

How many watts to achieve 'medium' lighting?

Thanks guys :D

P.T.

Ok, thanks guppygirl :D

Says here i should get about 200 watts for a medium-bright tank, that sound right to you guys? And what kind of light should i get?

Thanks again :)

P.T.

Says here i should get about 200 watts for a medium-bright tank, that sound right to you guys? And what kind of light should i get?

I concurr with guppygirl. At 200 watts, you'll definitely have to go with compact lights (or overdriven T8). I would definitely look for high efficiency electronic ballast, as the cost of electricity will eclipse the initial savings using cheap magnetic ballast.

BTW, overdriven T8 is not recommended unless you know what you're doing, as it can be an electrical hazzard.

Ok, ended up with dad whining about the cost, so the light i managed to get is a compact fluorescent 36 watts. There will be more coming, but this is the first.

P.T.

overdriving means running more power into your fluorescent tube since typically normal fluorescents can handle more power but have to be replaced more often as compared to normally operated T8's

http://www.plantedtank.net/odno.html

heres a article on it

personally i dont recommend it because i talked to the electrician where my sister works and he said its really not safe and can be a really big fire hazard

I take it that the balasts for normal flourescent tubes are magnetic?

The only reason I ask, is because I recently bought some 40w starter units for 30w and 18w tubes.

If this is a fire hazard i will definately not use them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back