Tank Lighting

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Anonyfish

Reaction score
I did try to look through past post's to see if this had been asked before, but I couldn't find anything, so apologies if this has already been asked.

I have the following tank which came as a set with lighting etc ;

I am not a fan of the lighting as it is quite bright. I have a pair of German Blue Rams so I prefer something a bit more subdued as this seems to bring there colour out. Though I do have some Java Fern and Anubias in the tank though so I have to be conscious of this as well.

I have been looking at lighting, and I would like something that has maybe a few different lighting options, or runs through a cycle. I would also like something that either has a remote or is Bluetooth, though my priority is to make sure it is right for the tank first.

My issue is trying to find something that would be able to fit in my tank as it currently has Fluorescent Tubes. I quite like the look of the Nicrew Lights on Amazon, however it seems most of these our for hoodless tanks, so I am wondering whether to take the hood off my tank and go this way. An alternative is submerged lighting, however I have not seen this in person and I'm unsure if this would be even brighter.

Does anyone have any suggestions for lighting? Is my best bet to search through Tube lighting that have the same measurements as my current lighting?

Thank you for the link, I will definitely look in to that sounds perfect for what I want. Love the set up of your tank btw.

I think I will opt to go for a remove the cover from my tank and purchase some plastic covers to deal with the condensation issues. Seems to add a lot more flexibility with the lighting this way

Nicrew are great lights I have two of them, but there are lots of options depending on your wants and needs. The only problem with nicrew and using the control is that when you unplug it from the power you have to reset everything every time. There or other options for lighting that allow for better control and will not lose the settings when disconnected from power, but a bit more expensive.

Here is another option but the Coodia light is not as bright as the Nicrew, but it does have a small remote and doesn't loose its setting when power is unplugged.You still don't have to options of timing for lights off and on, but you can always use an old fashion timer for that. Not sure on your end in UK, about ordering this light through Amazon.

Finnex lights are a step up with a remote and good lighting control, both timing and color, with several different effects.

Are you can go all the way for the ultimate in in controlling lighting with Fluval Aquasky. More expensive but uses bluetooth and your smart phone. That way you want lose the remote, unless you lose your mobile.

If you want to go cheap then look at Aquaneat lights.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nicrew are great lights I have two of them, but there are lots of options depending on your wants and needs. The only problem with nicrew and using the control is that when you unplug it from the power you have to reset everything every time. There or other options for lighting that allow for better control and will not lose the settings when disconnected from power, but a bit more expensive.

Here is another option but the Coodia light is not as bright as the Nicrew, but it does have a small remote and doesn't loose its setting when power is unplugged.You still don't have to options of timing for lights off and on, but you can always use an old fashion timer for that. Not sure on your end in UK, about ordering this light through Amazon.
Finnex lights are a step up with a remote and good lighting control, both timing and color, with several different effects.

Are you can go all the way for the ultimate in in controlling lighting with Fluval Aquasky. More expensive but uses bluetooth and your smart phone. That way you want lose the remote, unless you lose your mobile.

If you want to go cheap then look at Aquaneat lights.
Thank you for all the information. I had a look at some of these and I did actually opt against the Nicrew for the reasons you stated.

I did actually purchase the Fluval Aquasky on my way home from work despite mixed reviews as I did like the look of the simplicity of the control so I’m happy to see that as an option on your list.

I think I would eventually look to upgrade to Finnex but this was just a bit out of my budget at the moment.

thank you again for all the links and information because I will still have a look in to these for the future.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for all the information. I had a look at some of these and I did actually opt against the Nicrew for the reasons you stated.

I did actually purchase the Fluval Aquasky on my way home from work despite mixed reviews as I did like the look of the simplicity of the control so I’m happy to see that as an option on your list.

I think I would eventually look to upgrade to Finnex but this was just a bit out of my budget at the moment.

thank you again for all the links and information because I will still have a look in to these for the future.
Your welcome, please come back and let us know how you like the Fluval Aquasky. You can also do a review on the light in the review section. This way others coming in can easily find your review there.

The only problem with nicrew and using the control is that when you unplug it from the power you have to reset everything every time.
Not true for the controller I linked. Programming is retained. You do need to reset the time but that's only seconds.

Second on the Nicrew lights. Just got one and I’m very impressed with it.

Have you ever seen the sun hit your aquarium? I promise you there ain't a light on the market that is "too bright". Let the sun light hit your tank and.you'll see just how dim and inefficient your aquaria lighting really is. That being said....

Get whatever you like. There are plenty of options out there. Just find one that fits your budget, and.covers what ya need. Or move the tank in front of a.window and save some.money.

Or move the tank in front of a.window and save some.money.

Unless your like me and live in a house with no windows. I have only two small windows, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom.... lol... :dunno:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back