Tank Cleaning

(Based On 13 Fish In A 20 Gallon Tank)

  • 10-15%

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15-20%

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30-50%

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

TheSims3Dude

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Messages
798
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Hey,

I've had a fish tank for about 5-6 years, so I wouldn't say I'm a total newbie, lol, but I still have lots of questions about fish and aquariums, one being, how often are you supposed to clean your fish tank? And how much % of the water? I have a 20 gallon tank, and I change 10-15% of the water once a week, am I doing it right? Or what can I improve on? I just want to make sure I can take the best possible care of my fish, I want them to live a long and happy life, they deserve it! :good:
 
You are doing fine, I would suggest to do a 20-25% water change. It depends on how many fish you have really.
 
I would personally change slightly more water each week, I currently change 50% water in my 33 gal every week so for you to do 50% of a 20 gal should be fairly easy.

Also weekly gravel vacs are pretty essential as well as removing any dead / dying plant leaves if you have live plants.

I have external filter and tend to clean that out every 2/3 months and every month or so I take out any ornaments etc to give them a scrub.

Andy
 
I would personally change slightly more water each week, I currently change 50% water in my 33 gal every week so for you to do 50% of a 20 gal should be fairly easy.

Also weekly gravel vacs are pretty essential as well as removing any dead / dying plant leaves if you have live plants.

I have external filter and tend to clean that out every 2/3 months and every month or so I take out any ornaments etc to give them a scrub.

Andy

I do a 33% water change weekly.
 
Ya, I have 13 fish about, mostly small to medium size (guppies, etc) I clean the gravel every week that I do the tank, plus I change the filter every 2-3 months,
-_-
 
13 fish.

13 blood thirsty, messy pirhanas or 13 tiny little neons? lol

proper mantainance is different for every setup. assuming an average setup, 20% should suffice.
 
Hey,

I've had a fish tank for about 5-6 years, so I wouldn't say I'm a total newbie, lol, but I still have lots of questions about fish and aquariums, one being, how often are you supposed to clean your fish tank? And how much % of the water? I have a 20 gallon tank, and I change 10-15% of the water once a week, am I doing it right? Or what can I improve on? I just want to make sure I can take the best possible care of my fish, I want them to live a long and happy life, they deserve it! :good:

I do between 25%-50% a month (tank and filter are almost 2 years old now so fully mature). If the filter/s you are running with the tank and the media is as old as the tank then you could easy get away with doing 25%-50% every month. Water changes really depend on size of tank, stocking and age.
 
I usually split a 30%-50% waterchange into 2 over a week. So 2 15%-25% water changes a week. Works fine, fish stay healthy
 

Most reactions

Back
Top