Tank Background

Moe

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I know this is probably the stupidest question, but how do you attach the decorative background to the outside of the tank. I've been using tape and it keeps coming off. Is there a secret? :*)

Have you tried clear package tape? Like cardboard boxes are sealed with? About 2 1/2 inches wide.

Mine has been attached for 8 years now. Make sure you clean the glass with some type of glass cleaner. Don't spray it, though. It could contaminate your water. Put some on a paper towel.

Attache the tape to the side edges and a couple of spots along the top if you need to.

I have a decorative background that I struggled to tape onto the back of my tank. Its very hard to attach the background after you have the tank set up against a wall. I don't like how mine looks its hard to see the background at all, I should have just painted the back black. I have heard that is a pretty good idea unless you someday want to look through the other side.

Has anyone ever tried using aluminum foil as a background on a tank? I tried it on my 1 gallon tank, it kind of has a cave like look lol. I may end up just buying a background though.

About the black background thing... i would not bother it really does not look good especially when it starts to peel. and with other backgrounds they never seem to show up very well when u look through the glass.
What i would do is place a mirror in the back of the tank making it look much bigger and to watch the fish react to there reflection.

Damien

when applying your backing get a cup with some warm water in, and add some washing up liquid (put it in after the water so it dos'nt froth and stir it gently) get a small sponge and sponge the liquid onto the the glass where the backing is going, it dos'nt need to be dripping wet just enough to cover it all, cut your backing about 2mm smaller all round than your tanks glass, place the backing onto the glass and slide into place, then use a squeegee and force out the soapy water from the midde out, keep going to all air bubbles go, don't press to hard or you could tear your backing, when you have finished it will be stuck but apply tape just too keep it on it worked for me a treat, i stuck mine on with tape first and wonderd why it was so dark so i did this and it made a hell of a diff, I apply window tint as part of my job on cars, thats where i got the idea :)

hope this helps

Just like making the background air tight against the glass like a sucksion cup (sry for the spelling) it has worked for me but within a month or 2 u sometimes have to do it again
And knowing a teenager like me, i become lazy and just remove the background :p
But yea i do have to agree it works well for a decent amount of time, but i still like my mirror idea cause it makes ur tank look twice the real size :)

Damien

dman said:
About the black background thing... i would not bother it really does not look good especially when it starts to peel. and with other backgrounds they never seem to show up very well when u look through the glass.
What i would do is place a mirror in the back of the tank making it look much bigger and to watch the fish react to there reflection.

Damien
I will have to disagree. I paint all of my tank backgrounds. It not only looks nice, it also adds a sense of depth to the tanks. In all my years of fish keeping Ive never had any begin to peel. The mirror idea is a good one but has one flaw in my opinion. Last thing I wanna see is my face staring back at me when I look in the tank.

I do what fish runner said.. more or less. I make it wet and squeegee it on, then tape the edges for good measure. It really changes the appearance of the backgroud if you make it wet first. Also, my tanks eventually get enough plant growth happening that I can't even see the background. I don't really consider it part of the aquascaping, just a way to conceal the wall/cords/tubes behind the tank.

a small blob of blu tac in each corner???? i like the mirror idea though! sounds good although as you say you would be stuck with looking at your own mug ( face)everytime youre admiring your finned friends!!! ;)

Dman said:

Damien
There are a lot of fish where this would be a problem - notably any territorial fish. I've heard of bettas flaring themselves to death in a tank with a mirror.

>>> I've heard of bettas flaring themselves to death in a tank with a mirror.

Interesting point.

I paint the back, and depending on the situation, sides, of my tanks black.

you can also buy double sided sticky pads to fix the background onto the tank, which i use!

I guess it would all depend on how heavy the background was. It it's made of something light, such as a piece of paper or a sheet of aluminum foil, then regular packing tape should do the trick.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back