Tank and equipment query

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aylana

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok sorry to sound like a silly newbie, but I am.

I got my tank today (hooray!) along with all the necessary bits and bobs to get started. Now I got most of the equipment second hand from a guy upgrading to a big shiny new tank. So my query is how do I get the filter and heater etc to stay where I want in the tank. I assumed that they would come with little suckers or something to hold them in place against the glass but they haven't. Would they have come with them if they were bought new? Do I need to somehow get hold of some? Do any of you have any other suggestions for keeping them in place? They look a bit silly just hanging in the water at funny angles. :unsure:

Thanks all for any help provided.

Aylana

Yes, they should come with sucker thingies... I suppose you'll need to visit your LFS and see if you can get some from there.

Thanks sylvia,

I will go down to the lfs and give them some patter see if I can get some proper ones, otherwise I may have to diy it with some spare oversized ones I've just found from a bathroom set. (They aren't really all spare but I'm sure the boyfriend won't miss the soap dish! :whistle: )

Cheers again
Aylana

Hi Aylana

There is a universal kit for heater stats that you can buy. This consists of a sucker and what you could say is a cable tie which you fasten around the heater.

When you enquire about the suckers for the filter it would be best for you to take the model number as some internal filters have a plate that fastens to the glass that the filter hangs off.
If it is an external filter the pipe clips should not be too much of a problem as most seem virtually universal. :D

Have you had fish before?
Read up before purchasing your fish to check compatibility. Do not take the person in the fish shops knowledge as gospel as over the years I have heard some right tosh from LFS staff. Not all shops are bad but be careful. ;)
If not just remember when stocking your tank not to add too many fish in one go as you will need to cycle the tank first. :nod:
This will prevent it crashing and you loosing the fish.

I hope this info is of some use to you. But if you have already done your reading or kept fish before just ignore it. :lol:

Thanks fishman I will look for that universal kit.

I haven't kept fish before but have been reading about cycling and asking advice here about stocking my tank. It nice to see so many people trying to keep newbies like me on the right track. If only all LFS were as helpful as the people here!

Aylana

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back