Tam's Live Planted Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TamarackTTC

Reaction score
Hi Community, I know this isn't much, but it is where I am today. I last had a Cichlid tank around 3 years ago and I had to sell it because it was too much to manage as our first child arrived and my wife and I were overwhelmed. We now have 2 children and for some reason I think I can start up another tank, and now a live planted one..... I'm probably in over my head, but I'm going to do it anyway :0)

It was around September of 2017 (roughly 4 months ago) when I made the decision I was going to do this. Since then I've been researching, reading, watching youtube, discussing on the this forum, going to a couple different LFS's, and gathering supplies. My strategy is to spend as little money as possible, but also have a beautiful tank! To do this I have "traded up" a lot in my spare time (this means I will get something for free or very cheap and clean it up and sell it in order to get something that is much better). In the attached image is what I have today, which is a 55 gallon long with a stand, t5ho light bar, fluval 305 canister, heater, an assortment of hard rock, 4 pieces of beautiful mopani wood, and many other extras. I painted the stand black to match the trim of the tank with extra latex paint I had and did some cleaning. The total I've spent thus far is +20 dollars. That's right, I've actually made money and I'm left over with all these goodies :0)

So, the next step for me is to create a hardscape with rocks and mopani. Then decide what plants I want. Then decide what fishies I want. Then get the soil and plants and give it a go. This wouldn't take long for the normal folk, but being a stay at home dad and not having much extra time, I don't anticipate the next couple of steps happening very soon. This process is definitely teaching me patience......

I will keep ya'll updated as I go along and I appreciate you tuning in! Ya'll have made a world of difference in my journey to having a live planted tank :0)

Attachments

• IMG_3261.JPG
    IMG_3261.JPG
    769.1 KB · Views: 440
Are you going to paint the back black? If you are now is the time to do it.

Are you going to paint the back black? If you are now is the time to do it.
Yes thank you for reminding me! It is definitely something I'm going to do before adding anything. There was one other option that I've seen, which was a seal on window tinting in a clearish color that drowns out the background behind the tank, but provides a lighter reflection for the plants. Have you seen anything like this?

Hi

Yes you could do that but how much will it cost, a 250 milliliter sample pot of mat black water based paint if only about $5 and a paintbrush is about $2.

Hi

Yes you could do that but how much will it cost, a 250 milliliter sample pot of mat black water based paint if only about $5 and a paintbrush is about $2.
Well, I was more wondering if the clear "frosted" tint would benefit the plants because of light reflection? Looks like I can get a roll for about $10 shipping included. But more wondering about the effect on plants if any.

Update: 75 gallon upright - In my adventure to keep trading up for my ideal tank and equipment I came across this tank. I cleaned it up and went to test the filter and placement in the house. It just turned out to be TOO BIG.

At this point it's back to the 55 gl. long

Attachments

• IMG_3611.JPG
    IMG_3611.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_3616.JPG
    IMG_3616.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 431

Most reactions

trending

Back