Taking A Break

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
A while back this TFF Forum made a major change in format. I'm an old duffer who doesn't handle change very well. I stopped posting and actually stopped using the Internet altogether for a bit. I saw some programs on PBS that had to do with mind control that on the part of Internet advertisers and Amazon. Pretty scary let me tell you. I also remember back in the early 1990's when the Feds first decided that all communication would be digital. Television, radio, everything. Even print publications are digital. Just ask yourself, why does the government care what format private business uses ? Some have fallen for the cover story that it was about bandwidth or some such thing. I finally woke up and realized that they may be beaming pixels into your head to accomplish something sinister. The Internet was a gift to the University system by the Department of Defense. Coincidence ? Take a few days off. No internet and no TV. Prove to yourself that your mind has relaxed and that you feel more calm. I am dead serious about this. No joke. Something weird is going on.

It's the same as addiction. People get ansty at first without the internet or their phones or social media but by the end of it they feel calmer. Phone companies have technology to make screens more addictive whether its formatting or colors or the way things are worded. Also, the blue light from phones messes with your brain and wakes it up, makes it active and hard to relax.

no internet , no tv? I don't read books and am retired. What could I do with all that time...sit and meditate? sleep? talk to my fish? talk to my plants? talk to the wall? Take a walk? Try writing a book?

By not having access to a tv or interrnet, I might miss a national emergency warning. I could I miss getting news of an approaching tornado? That could be dire to miss such warnings. With no internet, I couldn't do my online banking...I would have to write checks and send payments via snail mail. I couldn't order my groceries from Peapod. I wouldn't be able to order from Amazon.

What would I do with that extra time? I don't know. Maybe spend more time on building models. Play crossword puzzles. Who knows.
What would YOU do?

So who here wants to try going even 24 hours without tv or internet? Report back if you do try it.

Last edited:
I have several hobbies to keep my mind busy. I build models, upgrade and repair computers, do a fair amount of historical reading, take care of my Granddaughter 4 days a week, play with my dogs and take care of my fish. Enjoy cooking meals for my wife. Do not watch much TV except for the news or a good movie late at night. Have a flip phone that I hardly ever use except to call Scotty to beam me up.;)

I have no trouble at all going without. I enjoy the peace and quiet. That short flash of news blurbs that you don't see long enough to know what it is on the news ? That annoys me. The peace of watching the fish and looking out the window is much more preferable. Watch a movie called "They Live" with Rowdy Roddy Piper. That's what's happening to us.

I’m watching a series called “The Chosen” right now. It’s about the life of Christ and very interesting. I pull it up on my smart phone and then watch it on my smart T.V. I’m glad I have the capability of reflecting on God’s word in the privacy of my own bedroom. So, with that, I’m not ready to give up my phone or T.V. Just yet. Maybe when the series is over. God bless!

I read up on reviews of "They Live" (1988) by John Carpenter and probably will give it a watch via ROW8 app on my roku. I like movies with a message. This one seems to have a message for viewers. I occasionally like to watch Science Fiction movies so this should be an intesting watch.
Of course, if I give up internet, I won't be able to watch it so I'll to hold off dropping internet for awhile. :lol:

If you haven't read the book 1984 or seen the movie, that might be worth reading or seeing. The thought police are out there.

Last edited:
Well...I signed up for a free trial of Starz via my roku tv. So I can watch THEY LIVE for free. I'll let you know how I like it. Not sure I will watch it in one sitting but I will watch it. Thanks for suggesting it.. The trailer looked good and it has great reviews on IMBD and on Amazon.

Don't take this the wrong way, but post #1 makes you sound like you are wearing a tin foil hat :)

Yes, it's a good idea to take time away from electrical devices, including the internet. However, I'm not subscribing to the conspiracy side of it. There are bigger things to be concerned about like replanting the planet, stopping the oceans from warming and becoming acidic, getting plastics out of the environment, and trying to stop the human race from wiping itself and everything else out.

And one good thing about the internet... you can’t catch the Coronavirus conversing with people on social sites like ours :lol:

PS: Colin- be sure you vote in the TOTM contest! ;)

And one good thing about the internet... you can’t catch the Coronavirus conversing with people on social sites like ours :lol:

PS: Colin- be sure you vote in the TOTM contest! ;)
I cannot live without internet as well, I have to talk to my friend through skype and stuff.

Yeesh, that would be hard for me. Trust me, I don’t spend all day on electronics. I have full school and work outside on my gravel road. I also spend a lot of time exercising outside. (running, jogging, pull-ups, etc.) I also exercise a lot. (A lot more than some people might like. :lol:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back