T8's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mick,

Generally marine white is a bluer white than a normal white tube.

From Arcadia's blurb:
In the natural tropical freshwater environment, the ideal light is generally closer to overcast daylight (7000K) than say from a marine reef environment (typically 10000K), where the main objective is to replicate light at a depth of 5 - 10 metres, where the water appears blue.

HTH, Eddie

Mick,

I take it you want to use the ordinary white with a marine setup to avoid having to buy a marine white? If I have got the right end of the stick then Yes, adding actinic blue will be benefical to the inhabitants.

In my two nano-reefs I have one Daylight White (7,100k) tube and one Moonlight Actinic (12,000K) tube and the balance seems to work OK. I might switch the daylight white to a 50/50 white/actinic when I replace the tubes, but I am not 100% sure yet.

A lot will depend on the colour temperature of the existing white tube. If it is a freshwater plant tube then the colour temperature and spectrum may be different to promote photosynthesis in plants.

Cheers, Eddie

:thumbs: Thanks M8 thats exactly what i was planning, but was unsure if it would work, another question does adding more white tubes increase the light intensity or does it just give just the same but over more of the tank i.e one at front one at back?

cheers

Mick

Adding more tubes increase the intensity. It also allows you to spread the light out more by positioning the tubes.

You might want to have a look at the 'Get Zoned' article in this months PFK magazine as this deals with the use of lighting gradients in a reef tank.

Cheers, Eddie

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back