Synodontis Petricola Breeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

This is a really interesting read smithrc, not planning on breeding but it's still great to read up on other people's experiences.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Good luck! :good:

I cant believe how prolific they are being!

I'll be writing this up and It'll be going on my new website, along with another article on our little stripy plecs :)

Hello Smithrc.Exellent post,hope it works for you.How old and how big are your Petricola?

I got them from a localish breeder when they were 6 months old and just 1"...
I was told they were slow growers... but they grew quite quickly to their current size.
That was 18 months ago and they are now about 3"

if i were you id also try getting some mouth brooders known for having babies easily(convicts)but im not sure if cons are MB's.

ah you see this is where u r(and alot of others) are mistaken.i have personnally seen a mbuna let loose about 6 petriocla.

I'd be more inclined to think they would be synodontis multipunctatus then.

Great topic SmithRC, will be great to see results!

i bought 2 of my originals from a local breeder (1 died)and he uses both ways.even though the pot style works better.he says they do ocaisonnaly "cuckoo" style.

ah you see this is where u r(and alot of others) are mistaken.i have personnally seen a mbuna let loose about 6 petriocla.

Dont get me wrong - I didnt say that it wouldnt work - but you dont need to use the method
Which is lucky as my tanks arent mouth brooder compatable (at least I didnt think so, as I've always wanted to try mouth brooders)

oh sorry.i guess i made that a little too straight forward and it sounded bad.i was just stating it worked both ways.
any luck so far?

Bit of an update for anyone reading....

Our Synos have been giving be a lot of room for error - there is a constant supply of eggs - every couple of days there are more in the trap...
So I am making progress... but only slowly.

I have been able to get the eggs hatching and the fry surviving, I'f filled my home made trap with java moss, this is breaking up the flow of the water entering the trap meaning that the fry are not getting battered and killed once they hatch. It is also trapping the eggs off the bottom, away from the poop and food that this method also sucks up.

At the moment I'm still having problems raising the fry - I can now get the fry past the egg sack stage but no further.
This would lead me to believe that its a food problem. I'm going to have to start another tank for them and transfer the fry as soon as I can so that I can feed separately and monitor them better.

At the moment we have about 12 small fry - no pigment and only just finished their egg sacks.

It sounds as though you are getting there Russell.
Good luck and keep us posted. :good:

Whats their first food your trying them on?

One breeder i know just feed newly hatched brine shrimp as soon as yolk is used up.

crushed and soaked tetra prima....

works well for our cory fry..
and the adults loved it when we got them too.
(they were less that 1" when we got them)

Most reactions

Back