Synoditis Nigrivitus

Sump will not fix floor space, and you simply do not have enough in a 10gal tank. To give you a rough idea:

Approx adult sizes
Julli cory : 5.5cm 
Albino cory: 6.5-7cm
Green cory: 7.5cm
Peppered cory - 7cm
Schwartz cory - 7cm
Apple snail - 15cm
Upside Catfish - 10cm
Betta - 7cm

Now no matter how you look at it, no matter how much filtration, no matter how many plants you have. You tank is WAY overstocked and you either need to upgrade to a larger tank, or fish need to be removed/rehomed

I understand what your saying how many corys would you recommend I remove at minimum I could prilly re home at least 4 of them into a 5g I have with just a betta. And how much more floor space really is a 20g. Like it's only about 6-10 inch more floor space how is that gonna change that much?

Yeah I tried to attach them and I assure you that the corys are fine with other kinds of corys they might not cross breed but they definitely are still fine with other cory species. They bred together and had many cory eggs all got eaten but I haven't had a death in 6 months... I agree they need more room to swim but I have no more space I have 3 10gallon tanks. If I had more room I would gladly upgrade wouldn't we all... I'm trying to figure out a way to make it work with what I got. I got 3 10gallon and a 5g and a crab tank. And the neons and betta have been fine no problems at all. I could move the upside down catfish but the corys were fine before it and would be cool to have more room but I can't do that at the moment and I think the 1 runt julli cory has a tumor I've had it for 6 months and the other 2 grew fine and this one stayed small and isn't looking good so there is one less within a week or so... sad but true

I'm sorry, but there is no other way except for rehoming them. Keeping them much longer in this tank is cruel. You wouldn't keep 5 dogs in a small pen, well this is no different, in fact it is worst.
I'm sorry that this is harsh, but there is no other way to say it.

Moving them to a 5G WILL NOT solve any problems, it will only make them worst.

fishguy22 said:
how many corys would you recommend I remove.
I'm sorry, but you really need to remove them all. 

A 20G would make a world of difference, provided that the corys were suitable species and kept in proper schools. 

So what do you propose I do . I told you my options. I cannot re home them all. And they are fine in the schools they are in. Yet again they school among other corys it's not like they are hiding from other fish it's a all cory tank and a very docile betta they are all very comfortable otherwise they would not breed. I'm not denying it's overstocked. I said that in the beginning of this post I can move the upside down catfish. I just can't re home all the corys. They seem fine otherwise they would not breed.

Breeding isn't everything, it is not a sign of a healthy tank.

There is an old saying, "surviving is not thriving", I think it applies in the situation.

Can you not take your corys back to your LFS? 
Are there no aquatic groups near you?
Can you not sell the corys on a site like eBay or Craigslist?
When you get 60 posts, you could try to sell them on the classifieds on this forum.

Sounds more like you WONT rehome rather than you CAN'T

I just do not see why you cant rehome, i'm sorry.
If you have a LFS near you, which i assume you do, there must be other fishkeepers in the same area, or the LFS would go bust. If there are other fishkeepers in the area then rehoming is possible. Give them away to someone with a bigger tank or see if the LFS will take them back maybe for store credit.

All i know is if there is a will there is a way!

Keeping them in a 10gal (no matter which one that is) is not suitable, especially if there is never any hope (you said yourself you cannot upgrade) of them moving to a larger tank in the near future

Alasse said:
Sounds more like you WONT rehome rather than you CAN'T

I just do not see why you cant rehome, i'm sorry.
If you have a LFS near you, which i assume you do, there must be other fishkeepers in the same area, or the LFS would go bust. If there are other fishkeepers in the area then rehoming is possible. Give them away to someone with a bigger tank or see if the LFS will take them back maybe for store credit.

All i know is if there is a will there is a way!

Keeping them in a 10gal (no matter which one that is) is not suitable, especially if there is never any hope (you said yourself you cannot upgrade) of them moving to a larger tank in the near future

Agreed 100%. I agree with everything everyone has said thus far.
It is in the fishs best interest to rehome the ones stated prior to my comment.

Ok I can re home some to my mom she has a 300 but no they won't take them back I've had the corys for 6 months + the upside down catfish could be returned. He just looks so cute breaks my heart. But it's what is best for the fish I just still find it hard to believe all you can keep on a 10g. Is one betta and one snail.... With 3 filters and a ton of plants you should still be able to keep at least one group of corys? Like I've seen many other people with more than just a betta and a snail in a 10g and my tank is far better off in terms of technology.
And what do you mean aquatic groups? I live in Pittsburgh pa do they have fish groups here I would like to join one of those is there a website to find groups in your area or something? It would be nice to know more people other than just the people at the local petco who are just trying to sell you stuff and will say anything to make a sale. And my mother and she has a 30g not a 300.... but she still doesn't have much room and she has been having troubles with her water it's a newer tank and fish have been dying I don't want to send my fish to their deaths there.......

Those fish are too big for your tank. Yes, people have more than a betta and a snail in tanks, but those tanks are cycled and with suitable fish. We have a small fish list around here, but most of those fish cant be with bettas.

bettas cant be with tetras, and neons are very bad with fin nipping. 90% of tetras are nippy, and they are so fast moving they stress the betta. As well as tetras need to be in groups of 6+, and neons are too active for the tank.

Im pretty sure no, you couldnt keep a whole shoal of cories in a ten gallon. As stated before, those fish get too big. You are stunting the fish which will either a) kill them, or b) give them deformations. This can be helped though, rehome the fish to experience fish owners, get a bigger tank, or give the ones that are SUITABLE fish for your moms tank to your mom.

Please listen to us, please rehome the fish. There is no reason you cant rehome. Craigslist helps. If you dont want to meet at your house, take the fish to a local petstore and meet there. I got my fishtank off craigslist, and Im thinking about rehoming my fish there too.

I feel obligated to chime in here...

Pittsburgh area (actually Western PA) fish clubs: http://fishpittsburgh.com/local-clubs/

(I'm on the other end of the state... so welcome to TFF from the Philadelphia area.)

Now, on to the issue of fish in a 10 gallon. 

First, let me clear up a misunderstanding - adding additional filtration to a tank does not change the volume of the tank (i.e. swimming space), it does not change the surface area (i.e. the oxygen carrying capacity), and it doesn't change the needs of the individual species.

Second, a 10 gallon tank, while widely sold and available is not suitable for many species.  We have a thread in our Beginner's Resource Center that discusses suitable fish... this is a partial list, but its a starting point. 

It seems that you are under the impression that your tank is more than a 10 gallon tank because it is well filtered and planted.  That's unfortunately not true.  The size of the tank won't be affected.  Your water quality can be higher as a result, but its still only so big. 

fishguy22 said:
So your saying you can't keep a school of corys in a 10g?? How do they keep like 50 in 1 10g at the pet store? I'm not doubting your answer just wanna know how they are able to achieve the numbers in such a small space
So could you keep a usd catfish In a ten gallon if it was with only other usd cats? Cause I kept synoditis petricola in a 10g planted before and they were fine for many years?

The water volume of the LFS is usually based on much different volumes than what you see.  Generally there is a back room with a huge volume of water that houses the filtration system.  They keep the fish in much smaller tanks in the retail area, so that you can more easily see the fish, and so that they can catch the fish in a much easier way.

Also, you must consider that they are in a TEMPORARY location at the LFS, not in a permanent home for the rest of their lives.  Its for that reason that they can keep so many tank busting fish in such cramped quarters as well... its only temporary.  Ideally for the LFS, none of those fish would remain in those tanks for more than a week up to a month.  But, other than that, they wouldn't be in such a small space.

For determining the minimum size of a tank that's needed for a fish, you need to consider, the behavior of the fish.  How big will it grow?  How active is it?  How many of that specie are required before it feels 'secure'?  How 'dirty' is the fish?

There are some corydoras that would be suitable in a 10, but only the 'dwarf' varieties.  (I kept 3, only 3 because the LFS didn't and hasn't gotten more in, corydoras leopardus in a 15 gallon tank over the summer, so that I wouldn't have to drive to work to take care of them for the summer.  And their behavior was very 'sulky'.  They barely moved.  They weren't active, they weren't 'themselves'.   When I put them back into the 110 gallon tank, they perked up, they became active and they are back to their old nature again.  Temporary quarters, like in a LFS, is very different from a long term solution.)   But, even keeping the dwarf varieties, you'd still want to stick to only 6, but no less if at all possible.

Fish for a 10 gallon would be found here & here.

Before stocking any tank, the key element you want to do is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, and more RESEARCH.  Don't trust a single source.  Verify all information from one fish site with at least two or more others.  Check for minimum tank size, behavior and compatibility with other fish. 

Ultimately, fishkeeping has many layers to it.  You can peel back as many as you are interested in.  But, the first layer is to ensure that the tank you use is suitable for the fish you have.  Upside down catfish need a much bigger tank, due to their own size, their activity level and their need to be kept with proper numbers.  Most corydoras species are also in need of a much larger tank, at the very least a 20 gallon long, and this would include your species, unless its one of the dwarf varieties.

Hopefully this will help you.  An immature tank, like you seem to be implying for your mother's tank, would be better than an improperly sized one.  You can help to mature the tank more quickly by adding some of your filter media to that tank and planting that tank.

eaglesaquarium said:
I feel obligated to chime in here...

Pittsburgh area (actually Western PA) fish clubs: http://fishpittsburgh.com/local-clubs/

(I'm on the other end of the state... so welcome to TFF from the Philadelphia area.)

Now, on to the issue of fish in a 10 gallon. 

First, let me clear up a misunderstanding - adding additional filtration to a tank does not change the volume of the tank (i.e. swimming space), it does not change the surface area (i.e. the oxygen carrying capacity), and it doesn't change the needs of the individual species.

Second, a 10 gallon tank, while widely sold and available is not suitable for many species.  We have a thread in our Beginner's Resource Center that discusses suitable fish... this is a partial list, but its a starting point. 

It seems that you are under the impression that your tank is more than a 10 gallon tank because it is well filtered and planted.  That's unfortunately not true.  The size of the tank won't be affected.  Your water quality can be higher as a result, but its still only so big. 

So your saying you can't keep a school of corys in a 10g?? How do they keep like 50 in 1 10g at the pet store? I'm not doubting your answer just wanna know how they are able to achieve the numbers in such a small space
So could you keep a usd catfish In a ten gallon if it was with only other usd cats? Cause I kept synoditis petricola in a 10g planted before and they were fine for many years?

The water volume of the LFS is usually based on much different volumes than what you see.  Generally there is a back room with a huge volume of water that houses the filtration system.  They keep the fish in much smaller tanks in the retail area, so that you can more easily see the fish, and so that they can catch the fish in a much easier way.

Also, you must consider that they are in a TEMPORARY location at the LFS, not in a permanent home for the rest of their lives.  Its for that reason that they can keep so many tank busting fish in such cramped quarters as well... its only temporary.  Ideally for the LFS, none of those fish would remain in those tanks for more than a week up to a month.  But, other than that, they wouldn't be in such a small space.

For determining the minimum size of a tank that's needed for a fish, you need to consider, the behavior of the fish.  How big will it grow?  How active is it?  How many of that specie are required before it feels 'secure'?  How 'dirty' is the fish?

There are some corydoras that would be suitable in a 10, but only the 'dwarf' varieties.  (I kept 3, only 3 because the LFS didn't and hasn't gotten more in, corydoras leopardus in a 15 gallon tank over the summer, so that I wouldn't have to drive to work to take care of them for the summer.  And their behavior was very 'sulky'.  They barely moved.  They weren't active, they weren't 'themselves'.   When I put them back into the 110 gallon tank, they perked up, they became active and they are back to their old nature again.  Temporary quarters, like in a LFS, is very different from a long term solution.)   But, even keeping the dwarf varieties, you'd still want to stick to only 6, but no less if at all possible.

Fish for a 10 gallon would be found here & here.

Before stocking any tank, the key element you want to do is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, and more RESEARCH.  Don't trust a single source.  Verify all information from one fish site with at least two or more others.  Check for minimum tank size, behavior and compatibility with other fish. 

Ultimately, fishkeeping has many layers to it.  You can peel back as many as you are interested in.  But, the first layer is to ensure that the tank you use is suitable for the fish you have.  Upside down catfish need a much bigger tank, due to their own size, their activity level and their need to be kept with proper numbers.  Most corydoras species are also in need of a much larger tank, at the very least a 20 gallon long, and this would include your species, unless its one of the dwarf varieties.

Hopefully this will help you.  An immature tank, like you seem to be implying for your mother's tank, would be better than an improperly sized one.  You can help to mature the tank more quickly by adding some of your filter media to that tank and planting that tank.
Backed up 100% and took the words out of my mouth. Read fully.

Most reactions

Back