Symptom of a water, filter, or light problem?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishFriend

Reaction score
I have a 40 gallon tank that has been set up for 5 years (moved it from office to home 2 years ago).
I cycle the water every 3 to 4 weeks.
I have an underwater filter (but believe it's not working properly) and a penguin filter (changed with each water cycling).

Each time I change the water, I find it necessary to bump up the pH level by adding chemicals.

Here's my question - after the last water change, my tank started taking on a reddish hue and has gotten progressively worse. Now, it looks to be the color of the red fish food flakes.
Is this a water problem or could it be my lights need replacing? I am planning to take a water sample to my lfs for testing but thought perhaps someone here could provide a bit of insight.

tia for your thoughts.

Population:
2 tin foil barbs (approx 7.5")
1 bala shark (appros 6.5")
3 danios
1 harlequin rasborra (I had more but the others have died over the years and I can't find any large enough not to be consumed by the barbs and shark)
1 black neon (ditto above)
3 black-skirted tetras
1 black cherry barb
2 tetras (can't remember their name - they're the ones with a bit of yellow on their fins)
3 Cory cats and
3 chinese algae eaters

What type of decorations are in the tank FishFriend? The first thing that jumps to my thoughts is that there is a piece of bogwood/driftwood in the tank that is leaching, which would, I think, color your water either yellow or red (depending on the wood) and also soften your water. :X

I haven't put any new decor in the tank in quite some time - this 'red tide' has just crept in over the last month or so...

I had a post in the 'hardware' forum regarding cleaning *under* an undergravel filter - I'm beginning to think the problem is because the filtration is not working correctly.

Now I'm planning the arduous task of stripping down and cleaning the tank...

I hate to say it, but better you than me :p ...thats the big thing that made me shy away from UGF...ultimately having to "muck" them out :sick: ...good luck :thumbs:

If you keep it.....

You need to get that undergravel in working order.

I use an undergravel filter, and there were several years where it was running less than optimal.
You may need to repair/replace the air pump.

However, be warned...when u do this all the crud that's sitting underneath will come spewing out into the water. I've had this happen a few times; could only cringe and hold my breath...poor things. :(

So before u do, I would gravel-vac very well, get down to the plate, suck up what u can.

It’s said fish can become used to poor conditions, and a sudden change could hit 'em wrong. Perhaps doing it over the course of a few weeks wd. be better...but if it were me...:look:
...given ur tank's been up a few yrs. (assuming conditions are stable, if not so good), I would do a real good clean, maybe two if that's what it takes (don't know if your fishes are used to this?). Then wait a week, as long as the fish look ok, and do another. Then set up the filter to go. This still may not prevent the 'spew', but it sh. help.
Is it not working at all?? How about the airstones...have they been replaced/cleared? also, the little vent beneath the airstone.
Perhaps add a separate airstone in the meanwhile to be sure there's enough O2 circulating, just a thought.
Not saying this is good advice...it's just prob. what I would do.

I'm not sure if the red is from the ugf not working or overfeeding or both, but if you're overfeeding...stop it. ;)
I never had actual red water, but I did used to get a nice red sludge in my filter media. :sick:

As u know, many would recommend replacing the ugf (or tossing it :p ), which may very well be a better idea...I can't say.
But if you do use a ugf, ya might wanna check those points, even if you do replace it.

btw...luv that av! :thumbs:

FishFriend said:
Each time I change the water, I find it necessary to bump up the pH level by adding chemicals.
Details?

Just wanted to offer my 2 cents on cleaning up the gunk from an underground filter. We tie and hold (it's a 2 person job) a net bag that you get with activated charcoal filled with fiber fill (also called floss), while reversing the flow on a small pump. It catches most of the gunk in just a few minutes. Another thought, have you tried using activated charcoal to clear the color from your water?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back