What's new

Swortail fish died randomly

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

RainGamma

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
For some reason my sword tail fish are dying. I'm not really sure what to do so I did a 70% waterchange after i saw a one die. I do have fry in there and the rest of my fish look fine. I'm not sure whats going on. Another one died 3 days after

By the way I can't really check my water parameters but I can say that my ph is 7 and my water temp is 78

Sorry for your loss.
Sometimes 'stuff' happens and fish just die...
I recently had several swordtails die prompting an Emergency Water Change. I have a lot of fish in this (110g stock) tank and discovered that I had foolishly been over feeding and just didn't notice/realize soon enough!

Assuming you have an established tank. re-evaluate the quality of the food you feed, taking care not to over feed. Also, if you're not doing at least 50% partial water changes weekly, you might want to do that. Right now, a few 25-50% water changes twice a week might be a good idea.

Now I'm not one for routine water testing, but it's good to have a test kit on hand as when there's trouble like this, you might uncover an ammonia or nitrite spike. In some rare cases, organic waste can temporarily exceed the beneficial biology to handle it. When this happens, toxic levels can develop very quickly and weaker fish will often perish.

Good luck as you get past this. :)

Can we get some clear pictures of the fish and tank?
What symptoms do the fish have?

Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate new water before adding it to the aquarium?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

What other fish are in the tank?

this is a 2 year old tank, I can try to go out an get a water parameter tester tomorrow
double check and make sure the rest of the fish are the same in terms of behaviour when it comes to fighting or eating eachother, a lot of fish may be labeled as peaceful but get too territorial. I'm no expert but it can't hurt to check.

Sometimes fish die with no clear reason. Were there symptoms present before they're died and after? A ph of 7 is moderately soft for swordtails and they can be kept fine at rates lower than 78°F. Swordtails can live in a ph of 7 but higher would be better. At least, they'll last longer with a higher ph.

Sorry for your loss.
Sometimes 'stuff' happens and fish just die...
I recently had several swordtails die prompting an Emergency Water Change. I have a lot of fish in this (110g stock) tank and discovered that I had foolishly been over feeding and just didn't notice/realize soon enough!

Assuming you have an established tank. re-evaluate the quality of the food you feed, taking care not to over feed. Also, if you're not doing at least 50% partial water changes weekly, you might want to do that. Right now, a few 25-50% water changes twice a week might be a good idea.

Now I'm not one for routine water testing, but it's good to have a test kit on hand as when there's trouble like this, you might uncover an ammonia or nitrite spike. In some rare cases, organic waste can temporarily exceed the beneficial biology to handle it. When this happens, toxic levels can develop very quickly and weaker fish will often perish.

Good luck as you get past this. :)
pretty sure its because i was overfeeding cuz im being stupid. I dont think its good for me to feed them fish flakes so im going to switch to fish pellets

Can we get some clear pictures of the fish and tank?
What symptoms do the fish have?

Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate new water before adding it to the aquarium?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

What other fish are in the tank?
ill send a picture when im home
my other fish are pretty active
havent put in any new fish
I change 30% every week
I dont gravel clean that much but i should
i have a overhead fiter
i clean my filter every 3 months

just swordtail fish

is it okay to change 25% of my tanks water everyday (20 gal tank)

@Colin_T can you tell me what this is???

DD4745EC-3D24-4E6D-9C09-8C2C2915C6A1.jpg

something in my fishs mouth

Most reactions

trending

Back