Swordtail

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Eskimo

Reaction score
Current setup for my cauliflower sabretail females. Livebearers are not my usual cup of tea, but these were to beautiful for me to pass up!

20240110_185521.jpg
20240110_190543.jpg
20240110_190640.jpg

I seem to remember reading somewhere , once upon a time , that Swordtails are a river type fish that like shallow moving water . If that’s the case then a six foot aquarium , open topped and filled about ten inches deep with a power head to move the water would be ideal . They could jump and frolic and cavort to their Swordtail‘s delight . Yeah , that would be something to see , an aquarium that encouraged jumpers to act naturally .

@emeraldking what do you reckon these are?
Well Colin, these are actual swordtails. I had them as well. But by the phenotype of these females, I can't tell whether they're saber or normal cauliflower swords. Females of both cauliflower swords look the same. I use to keep the normal cauliflower swords. The saber cauliflower males have a saberlike shaped sword (so, broad at the tip and a normal cauliflower male has got a pointy sword tip).
1705245430791.png

Above: A normal cauliflower swordtail couple.
Below: A saber cauliflower swordtail male.
1705246287068.png

I seem to remember reading somewhere , once upon a time , that Swordtails are a river type fish that like shallow moving water . If that’s the case then a six foot aquarium , open topped and filled about ten inches deep with a power head to move the water would be ideal . They could jump and frolic and cavort to their Swordtail‘s delight . Yeah , that would be something to see , an aquarium that encouraged jumpers to act naturally .
Yes, most wild swordtail species occur in shallow waters...
are they swordtails or platies coz they look too short to be swordtails.
Colin, in the wild there are also wild swordtail species than don't have a more stretched body. Most people refer to the stretched bodyshape of the Xiphophorus hellerii.
But I also have to say that this breeding form was bred as a short bodied swordtail, just like the socalled short bodied platies and guppies. But fortunately, it's not a balloon shaped body. So, the organs are not cramped. They also carry the Hi-fin gene. The shape of the dorsal is the same as in rose fin guppies.

Most offered cauliflower swords are red like these but nowadays also other color morphs are available. Cauliflower swordtails do exist already for a number of years.

The males my local breeder has have the sabertails like the ones in your pic. She didn't have any extra males. This is just a temporary tank until the females pop.

Most reactions

Back