sword tail fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

my_fallen_angel

Fish Addict
Reaction score
when the fry are born are they all the same colour, or different.

And how long does it take for their tails to grow or are they born with them?

i have nine and they are all identical.

the mother died soon after giving birth :sad:

The color really depends on who she bred with.....I have had 4 different colors of Pineapple Swordtail in one release of fry. They went from solid orange to light yellowish with almost no orange. I also have had batches of all the same color, so like I said, it varies.

As for the tail, are your talking about the males Sword?? No, it will grow in. WHEN it will grow in is another question altogether. I had a batch a while back that I SWORE one was a female. However, at about 6 months, it suddenly started to develop a gonopodium and a Sword. In a matter of 3 weeks, HE became on of the biggest, prettiest males I had seen (but was a major bully :sly: ). I also had 3 fry born (survive) in my community tank. As they grew, all 3 were identical, and had to be from the same mother. One stopped growing at about 1" and grew his sword, but the other 2 kept growing and I though for sure they must be female, because of the other one. NOPE. A month or so later, both of the larger ones showed themselves as males. I still have all 3 and the little one is probably my favorite, but one of the 2 bigger is now the dominant male in the tank.

You just never know. It's really up to the individual fish. :)

It is actually pretty random
The mother or father might be a mixed breed but the colours just dont tell so the fry can sometimes be very different

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back