Switching tanks advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bobby2415

Reaction score
I am going to be switching from my established 55 gallon tank to a new 90 gallon. The new tank is going where the old one is currently located. I was just looking for advice on how to make this transition the easiest. I am planning on using the gravel that is in the 55. My biggest question is how much of the water from the 55 do I need to use to make sure I don’t mess up the tank cycle? I would prefer to not buy a bunch of buckets to store the water in while switching over. Will the gravel, filter media, and 10-15 gallons of water from the established tank be good enough? Thanks in advance.

Provided the 55 gallon has had regular large water changes, the tank water will not be very different from your tap water so you don't actually need to use any old tank water. There are no bacteria (well, incredibly few) in the water, they live in the biofilm which is attached to surfaces.
It's tanks that have had little maintenance which could be a problem as over time, the water in the tank would have built up all sorts of things and changing from that to clean tap water could impact on the fish.

Just move the filter (or at least the filter media) gravel and any decor in the tank.

Essjay is absolutely right.

I did this same exact upgrade. The only difference was that I did not use the same substrate.

I upgraded my 55 to a 90 and put it into the same spot.

You'll need a few buckets.Some for fish, decorations, and filter media. The most important thing you'll need to do is keep your filter media submerged in tank water. Decorations too if you have extra buckets.

I kept 2 10 gallon bucket filled with water and fish. That was the only water from the old tank that I added back to the tank. It also gave me the advantage of getting the fish back into the 90 without acclimating before I began to fill with fresh water.

So for the steps.

Take down the tank and separate all of your existing things in buckets. Keep media and decorations or plants submerged. You shouldn't need an airstone for the fish provided you work quickly. If you can set one up I would absolutely do that.

Old tank out, new tank in.

Add gravel and decorations. Start getting filter, heater and decorations in place. Add fish and tank water (granted you have kept enough for the fish to swim)

Fill tank up and get your filter, heater and everything else running.

What you'll have in the end is equal to a very large water change.

Continue to monitor ammonia especially to be sure that it doesn't cycle. It should not cycle.

If your filter is powerful enough to handle to bio load on a 55, it'll have an even easier time with the same stocking on a 90. Don't add more fish until you've been certain that your tank does not cycle.

I've done this multiple times when moving, switching, and upgrading tanks. Maybe someone has done it a tad differently than I have, but I have had 100% success every time.

Good luck! Oh, and post us some before and after pictures!

Essjay is absolutely right.

I did this same exact upgrade. The only difference was that I did not use the same substrate.

I upgraded my 55 to a 90 and put it into the same spot.

You'll need a few buckets.Some for fish, decorations, and filter media. The most important thing you'll need to do is keep your filter media submerged in tank water. Decorations too if you have extra buckets.

I kept 2 10 gallon bucket filled with water and fish. That was the only water from the old tank that I added back to the tank. It also gave me the advantage of getting the fish back into the 90 without acclimating before I began to fill with fresh water.

So for the steps.

Take down the tank and separate all of your existing things in buckets. Keep media and decorations or plants submerged. You shouldn't need an airstone for the fish provided you work quickly. If you can set one up I would absolutely do that.

Old tank out, new tank in.

Add gravel and decorations. Start getting filter, heater and decorations in place. Add fish and tank water (granted you have kept enough for the fish to swim)

Fill tank up and get your filter, heater and everything else running.

What you'll have in the end is equal to a very large water change.

Continue to monitor ammonia especially to be sure that it doesn't cycle. It should not cycle.

If your filter is powerful enough to handle to bio load on a 55, it'll have an even easier time with the same stocking on a 90. Don't add more fish until you've been certain that your tank does not cycle.

I've done this multiple times when moving, switching, and upgrading tanks. Maybe someone has done it a tad differently than I have, but I have had 100% success every time.

Good luck! Oh, and post us some before and after pictures!
Very helpful thank you. Yah all I will be putting in is the substrate from the old tank. And then I will be using the filter (Penn Plax Cascade 100 canister) from the old tank, as well as adding another of the same filter which is new. A completely separate question, if you have any advice. Right now with my current filter, I’m using a spray bar (running horizontally at the top of the tank, aimed at the surface of the water). Now that I will be adding another filter do you have any suggestions on location and direction of both outputs? 1 spray bar, 1 power head, 2 spray bars, etc. Thanks!

It's all up to you on that one. You can do any combination of what you have mentioned.

It all depends on your stocking, positioning of your plants/decor, and above all personal preference.

I'd say 2 spray bars on each side of the tank, but if you have tall plants you might want to avoid that.

It's all up to you on that one. You can do any combination of what you have mentioned.

It all depends on your stocking, positioning of your plants/decor, and above all personal preference.

I'd say 2 spray bars on each side of the tank, but if you have tall plants you might want to avoid that.

Ok. Yah I just didn’t know if there would be an optimal combination to keep all the junk stirred up in the water column. The tank will be a community, primarily CA cichlids with primarily rocks.

I did the same. Set up the new tank with everything new (including filter hoses). When I was ready I moved the filter and fish all in one go. No issues whatsoever.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back