Sw Or Fw

tahneen

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
285
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Prince edward Island, canada
ok so I am incredibly stuck on this as I want to figuir out what I am going to put in the new tank so I will know if I have to drill it or not
so I am planning on getting a 135g tank and if it was freshwater it would be a grow out for a bigger tank in a year or two
but if it was a saltwater then I probly wouldnt set up the monster tank for a couple more years as the saltytank is more up keep

so what would you do, fw with polys and big cichlids or sw with corals and tangs with nemo of coarse?

please help me as my mind is all over the place with ideas
 
135G Saltwater will cost THOUSANDS to set up and maintain.

I also suggets you research heavily. There are more than 25 species of so called 'Nemos' each with unique requirements.
 
135G Saltwater will cost THOUSANDS to set up and maintain.

I cannot agree with this. There is simply no need for SW to cost much more than FW if you research well. My last two tanks cost me a total of £50 to set up. That worked out at about £1.20 per gallon.

I would not go for either of the options above, but rather go for a FOWLR SW pred tank.
 
£1.20 per Gallon?? Where do you get your live rock? :hyper:
 
Hang on. Hang on

135G Tank
50kg+ Live Rock
Salt,
Test Kits
Stock
Lighting
Substrate
Powerheads
Not to mention the running costs.

Your telling me that you could set that up for £162! If so tell me how! :good:
 
I agree with andywg as I have kept sw befor and I thought it would cost alot too
but I was wrong and I dont need 50kg of lr as it will be a fowlr so I will proly get 25kg of lr and I can buy skimmers and power heads and the such used so it will not cost me thousands

135G Saltwater will cost THOUSANDS to set up and maintain.

I also suggets you research heavily. There are more than 25 species of so called 'Nemos' each with unique requirements.

oh and the nemo thing was a little joke so go ahead laugh ha ha ha ;)
 
:lol: Best of luck. Thousands was slightly OTT but £1.20 is impressive!. Make sure you post some pics!
 
I would say go SW, and if you dont still get the tank drilled and Sump it. Because If you ever change your mind then the option is there, and sumps are just as good on FW, I think andy has a few FW sumps right?
 
There are some pretty big differences on ethier side to consider! With Saltwater it is expensive "I've read many books believe me", also you can only have so many fish it like 1 fish pure 5 or 10 gals so if you have a 135 gal tank you can have 27 or 14 fish also you have to have alot of light for coral and other creatures, also live sand and rock is called LIVE for a reason, you can get some funky and awsome things out of both, and this isnt even half of things to consider. Now Freshwater has some easier things to consider. One thing is you don't have to do much for the water like mixing salt and so on, also with that in mind you have freshwater available just in case of an emergency, also you have a whole bunch of fish and types of tanks available since freshwater has come farlly known. Over all they say the bigger the aquarium for saltwater the better but you have alot of choices for both.
 
135G Tank Second hand tanks are cheap. I paid about £5 for each of the two tanks
50kg+ Live Rock I had some spare Live rock and also make my own for the grand cost of about 50p per kg
Salt, This wasn't included in the cost as I already have it, but I get about 25kg for £40 which lasts a fair while - alternatively just collect sea water if you are on the coast (like me)
Test Kits I don't use these so no issues need
Stock Stock wasn't included, though to date I have only spent £30 on new fish for the tanks
Lighting This is not needed for a SW tank without corals and any light (including ambient) will do
Substrate Bare bottom
Powerheads I have a low flow from a pump attached to my main system
Not to mention the running costs. A small wwater change once per week, hardly breaking the bank

Your telling me that you could set that up for £162! If so tell me how! :good:

It doesn't quite work on a linear scale as you need thicker more expensive wood for a 135 stand than for the smaller tanks I did, but SW does not have to be cheap if you look around.

I would say go SW, and if you dont still get the tank drilled and Sump it. Because If you ever change your mind then the option is there, and sumps are just as good on FW, I think andy has a few FW sumps right?

I have sumps on every system I have, though using a sump with a planted set up is not all that easy as the sump tends to drive off CO2.

There are some pretty big differences on ethier side to consider! With Saltwater it is expensive "I've read many books believe me",

Good for you. I keep both and find it isn't that expensive if you do it right.

also you can only have so many fish it like 1 fish pure 5 or 10 gals so if you have a 135 gal tank you can have 27 or 14 fish

Ture, stocking is less dense in SW, most likely as a function of it retaining something like 17% of the dissolved oxygen level found in FW

also you have to have alot of light for coral and other creatures,

However if you don't keep a reef and go for the fish it just isn't necessary.

also live sand and rock is called LIVE for a reason, you can get some funky and awsome things out of both, and this isnt even half of things to consider.

Perhaps you should look at the inbformation on live sand down the bottom of the threads, most notably the point about how it almost certainly is not live by the time you get it. Live rock is great, the number of pests that come in are truly amazing (teddy bear crabs, gorilla crabs, mantis shrimp, aptasia, mojano...)

Now Freshwater has some easier things to consider. One thing is you don't have to do much for the water like mixing salt and so on, also with that in mind you have freshwater available just in case of an emergency, also you have a whole bunch of fish and types of tanks available since freshwater has come farlly known. Over all they say the bigger the aquarium for saltwater the better but you have alot of choices for both.

Indeed FW is a bit easier in a tight spot, but it is not that hard to always have some SW already mixed and waiting.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top