Super Glue On Hood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Qays

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Im adpting my hood and was thinking about using superglue on these 2 clips that i have.

Theyre wooden clips which i have on an old hood, which i can pull out, if i can use super glue to stick them onto the new hood, will this work?

I've done it, and its working fine!

The bond needs to be abled to hold up the light. Which is only a 15" light.

dsc003851nh.jpg

The square holder which is glued on to the hood should be bonded strong enough... right?

Dont know but when you find out, let me know! As this is what I'm thinking of doing!

TBH I would think it'd be fine, the only problem might be with the glue getting degraded by the intense light/heat and it cracking and falling off, but you may find that never happens

Sam

could try no more nails if superglue isn't working

Dont know but when you find out, let me know! As this is what I'm thinking of doing!

TBH I would think it'd be fine, the only problem might be with the glue getting degraded by the intense light/heat and it cracking and falling off, but you may find that never happens

Sam

Its working like a dream, Superglue will not come off easily, and the heat shouldnt get to it much since the light is quite far away, as you can see in the pic. The plastic holder came off my old hood, i just pulled it off.

If it does fall, which i doubt very much, it will land on the condensation tray, so no problem there!

I did this, so i can add my other light, at the back.

dsc003850yf.jpg

I wouldn't expect any problems from it, but if the superglue does become brittle and crack from the heat some epoxy would do the trick nicely.

Carl

i felt it, and there is hardly any heat on the clip holder, so it should be fine! its worked great for a day!

Just one thing, if you're able to I would remove the condensation tray, as this absorbs some of the light as it passes through, meaning less gets to the plants. I don't think its a major problem, but if you're able then I would remove it, in the words of Tesco, every little helps :)

Sam

i glued mine with solvent cement. works a treat :D and its only £3 for a decent size tube from B&Q

DG

Just one thing, if you're able to I would remove the condensation tray, as this absorbs some of the light as it passes through, meaning less gets to the plants. I don't think its a major problem, but if you're able then I would remove it, in the words of Tesco, every little helps :)

Sam

Then wouldnt my hood get wet? Including the light?

Yes, but the light fittings on tanks are designed to withstand this, so its normally ok. The rena range of tanks you cant fit a try to so it must be ok!

The only slight problem is if the hood sits on the outside of the tank, i.e. it overlays so the hood is on the outside and the glass of the tank on the inside. If its like this the condensation can start running down the side of the tank making it look messy. If the hood sits inside the tank then this shouldn't be a problem :)

Sam

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back