Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

sunlight and shrimps

Discussion in 'Fresh & Planted Nano Tanks' started by snailaquarium, Jul 5, 2019.

1. snailaquarium

snailaquarium Fish Fanatic

Hi,

As per previous thread I had issues with shrimp dying from being in a tank with plants that may have had fertiliser or pesticides, so I bought more plants, anyway, the elodea densa one looks like ****, so I have no concerns it wasn't treat with fertiliser, anyway, there is a slight whiteness around the edge of it, I am not sure if this is algea or the same white stuff of fungi that the other thread I posted showed the food growing. I will wash it just in case. however I have a concern because the plant looks poor, I want to give it more sunlight, however sunlight brings heat, if I had the shrimp in the area of the room that gets light in the day so its temperature would vary, is that ok or not? thanks in advance.

2. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator Tank of the Month Winner!

I wouldn’t go above 76F with them. Also make sure the temp doesn’t change more than 2 degrees at a time. I wouldn’t do direct sunlight though...use indirect and plants can still benefit. Good luck.

3. snailaquarium

snailaquarium Fish Fanatic

Hi,
    Thanks for the response, I am using these clay pellets (one only) which the seller confirms is safe for shrimps, to help grow the plants, is this really possible? I just find it hard to believe plants can grow without soil.

4. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator Tank of the Month Winner!

My plants just grow in gravel. I have no dirt. They get enough fertilizer from waste to keep them going. I quit using plant fertilizer all together. Of course, I keep easy plants like anubias and amazon sword because I don’t have an aquatic green thumb.

5. seangee

seangee Member

The difficulty with sunlight is you can't control it so you could very easily end up with a lot of algae. One thing worth mentioning is that plants often struggle when moved to a different envirnment. They do need 2-4 weeks to settle in, so be careful of trying to fix a problem that may not exist.

I have actually never managed to grow elodea densa successfully. As @Deanasue suggested I just changed to plants that do well in my tank. In my case this was vallisneria. It took about 6 weeks before it decided it liked my tank and then just took off and I have it everywhere now.