Sump Plumbing

finally plumbed my fuge... its got 13 gallons in it.

DSC07146.jpg

DSC07155.jpg

so what to put in it i was thinking like 4 inch deep sand bed with some chateo and a grow lamp.

i added those extra 90's in the fuge so water pressure would not disturb the sand.

:blink: what kind of problems did you have with the sand? i thought the pods would need some form of substrate to thrive.

:blink: what kind of problems did you have with the sand? i thought the pods would need some form of substrate to thrive.

Keeping it clean... Detrigus is a pita in them, not really worth it. Pods THRIVE in chateo. All the pods creating all that movement in my refugium caused my girlfriend think the chaeto mat in my tank had fleas ;)

i think your right.... in just a couple of days theres quite a bit of Detrius in the tank. ill go with your suggestion of just cheato.

now i bought a 2 foot fixture at the home depot with two t5 15 watt lamps( plan to get some type of grow lamps in it but for now these will do)... when should i have the light on, in the day or did i hear at night is better? :blink:

I see your overflow box's U tube has some air bubbles in it. I have an eshopps 800GPH overflow box. with 1'' U tube like yours. It also slowly accumulated air bubbles in the U tube. If you want to know how to get rid of these bubbles, watch my video at www.youtube.com/earthling1984 - movie called 'How to - Aquarium overflow / sump / refugium. Some tips'. I have a simple fix to make it so your overflow box's U tube stay bubble free.

actually that pic is from the first day i set it up and did not know how to get rid of those bubbles ,.... if you have bubbles... more than likely your problem is your return pump is not big enough to return as much water as your draining. ( so when you added that smaller overflow in your video it was a closer match to your return pump rating. )once i opened my valve to allow more return water , i never get bubbles trapped in the tube now at all , and i kept my original u tubes . not even if i disconnect power and reconnect power all day no bubbles. any bubbles in the tube are traveling so fast now that they simply travel through the other side. :good:

ive got a mag 1200 for my return pump and have my flow valve open almost all the way. when i first set it up the flow valve was only about 1/4 open.

awesome ;) yea, I actually didn't read your post about how you fixed the bubbles until after i posted ;o

Same general Idea of fixing, just different technique. For you, leaving the large U tube in was the better choice as you have much greater water flow.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back