Suitable Sealant For Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ferg1985

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm setting up my 420 Litre (well, it's been running since yesterday) I have a Fluval U4 inside the tank and a 405 for the main filtration, but as I've assembled it all and siphoned it ready to plug in I've noticed that the base (where one of the small pegs is for the legs) is letting out droplets of water which seems minor until I watched the puddle form and spill out onto the floor, everytime I wiped it up it was bag again in less than a minute - so not really something to ignore (this all happened AFTER I mis-installed the seal on the top of the box and let about 2 bucket's full of water spew out onto the carpet :grr: that's sorted now).

Just wondering if there's anything I could use to both the inside and outside of it to seal it, as it must literally be the smallest of hairline hole/cracks and it's a lot to dismantle and return it all for the sake of that. Thank's for any help.

Personally I would return it! But if you do not want to you could use a sealant such as gold label pond sealer. It can be applied even under water! So I would say this would be the choice for me, you could use it with a patch of plastic from a pop bottle to ensure good coverage over the crack/hole

If it can be returned then I'd be returning it straight away as it could cause problems in the future, also the feet on these are just stuck on aren't they? so if there is a crack then it could get worse.

If it can be returned then I'd be returning it straight away as it could cause problems in the future, also the feet on these are just stuck on aren't they? so if there is a crack then it could get worse.

yeah, I suppose. I'll contact them tomorrow (bought it off an online shop on that well known auction site), hopefully I can just return the empty casing and have a new one, I really don't fancy dismantling the rest and sending the whole lot back :no: . The U4 is cycling so even though it isn't sufficient it's something whilst this problem gets sorted and it isn't as if any livestock are concerned at this stage (being it a fishless cycle). If not perhaps contacting Hagen themselves, I'm not sure. I'll see how it goes.

Most reactions

trending

Back