Suggestions For New Filter In 40L Shrimp Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

millym

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi
have a 40L shrimp species tank been running for around 4 years, used to have an aquafish aquel? little filter but it kept getting clogged up too quickly, so having had good experience with fluval in the past- i bought a fluval U1 filter for the tank. But seem to be having the same problem- ive had it in there for over a year but it too seems to be clogging with poor water flow after a week or so. Shrimps are messy little critters - im now thinking of getting yet another filter to try & solve the problem. Does anyone have any recommendations? Its only 40l so if poss id like to avoid a big filter that takes up to much room in the tank, an external is out of the question - we have 3 tanks in a small living room - 40L khuli & galaxy rasbora tank, a 170L community and the shrimp one - the shrimp tank is ontop of a tall square chest of drawers so no where for an external to go. Any recommendations most appreciated.the shrimp tank is the one on the right of attatched pic .thanks

Attachments

• DSC01282.jpg
    DSC01282.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 63
Well my 30L has a FLUVAL Nano Filter in it. Slim design, spray bar and you can customise the media
Seems to do the job
(This is my opinion, no doubt others will disagree)

http://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/11899623/fluval-nano-aquarium-filter

EDIT: Also this came with my tank

tbh, any small filter may get clogged up relatively quickly. I would suggest a sponge or box filter as a possible alternative but then I struggle with a way to cycle this quickly (maybe get it to cycle in the community tank for a few weeks?). In my old 25l shrimp tank I used to just clean the sponges when I did the weekly water change (now that I'm using an Aqua One 620 the overhead filter hasn't needed a clean in 3 months). I don't realy find shrimp to be messy, is there anything else in there with them?

Hi & thanks - yes theres around 8 chilli rasboras in with them, there is a lot of shrimps in there - maybe i'll just have to keep cleaning the sponges ( although im always a bit concerned about doing it too often & disturbing the water bacteria balance)or put up with a bigger filter, i'll try & find a slimline one.

Most reactions

Back