Subtropical Community Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

April_ht

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Unfortunately 3 of my platy fish jumped out of a bucket while I was re-scaping my tank for a planted aquarium, so I am now left with 6 WCMM. I never really took it serious that fish would jump, and a platy of all fish :confused: guess I've learnt my lesson now. Anyways, I've invested in a good quality aquarium light for plant growing, new substrate (plant and neutral) and plant fertiliser and have a few live plants to provide shelter with an area for swim space, still waiting for the plants to grow out though. Tank is fully cycled, 70% water changes for a few days and a bag of old gravel done the trick thankfully. Been monitoring the temperature, 20 degrees Celsius on average and been using kettle water during water changes to keep temperatures up. I think it may finally be time to start stocking (slowly of course).
Capacity - 70 litres (18 US Gallons)
Dimensions in cm - 60l x 30w x 40h
pH - 7.5
Water hardness - 105ppm or 7.35 Degrees Clark
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - around 15-20ppm

These are what I have come up with for stocking:
Current idea -
10-12 WCMM
5-6 Corydoras (species researching depending on availability)
1-2 Mystery Snails (yes, I am prepared to crush the eggs if need be)

Idea 1 -
10-12 WCMM
1-2 bottom dwellers (recommendations?)

Idea 3 -
6 WCMM
6 other schooling fish
2 Mystery Snails or 8 Cherry Shrimp

Idea 4 -
6 WCMM
1 centrepiece fish (gourami?)
1-2 Mystery Snails

Any subtropical species you know of or a list you know of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you. Also, a picture of the tank so far has been added, recommendations for plants or scapes very welcome.

Attachments

• My AS.jpg
    My AS.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 75
Thank you for the advice, however from what I've read Pentazona Barbs require a larger tank size and I'm more looking for a bottom dweller to go with my WCMM. Do you happen to have an opinion on freshwater gobies, more specifically Desert Gobies (Chlamydogobius eremius)? I'm considering them, Corydoras or Hillstream Loaches, so any opinions on those would be appreciated. Also, does anybody know if Boraras Maculatus would do well in 7.5 pH waters? I appreciate the opinion though, thank you.

Bluefin killifish, pygmy sunfish, ghost shrimp, paradise fish, bloodfin tetra, zebra danio, Asian stone catfish, American flagfish, golden dwarf barb, and some bristlenose species all have ranges that dip below 20°C.

Most reactions

Back