Substrate

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
Hey guys!

I am going to be getting a 55 gallon tank soon, and I need help with substrate.

I already have black moon sand in my 29 gallon, and I want to try something different.

The tank is going to house Cichlids, so I am making a Cichlids setup.

I want a substrate that is still sand, or very small gravel, and I want like a brown color.

I don't want play sand, and I dont want black sand.

I want a very natural look, and I dont think play sand or black sand is a natural substrate color in a Cichlid tank.

So, is there any substrate out there that is like a darker brown color, and I want it to be sand, or very very small gravel.

Because I a going to scatter larger gravel, and rocks on top of the substrate.

Thanks a lot guys!

Looking forward to all of your input!

-FHM
 
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure builders sand is a darker colour. Sure thats what BigC used when he set up his huge tank, will see if I can find the thread to confirm.
 
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure builders sand is a darker colour. Sure thats what BigC used when he set up his huge tank, will see if I can find the thread to confirm.
Okay thanks, yeah that would be nice if you could find that thread!

Thanks for your reply!

-FHM
 
Sorry, I don't think it was BigC - it was one of the other mod's who built a monster tank, big enough to swim in. AndyWG took some pic's iirc...was an epic thread from what I remember.
 
There are also very fine gravels in the darker brown shades. I used Roman Aquarium Gravel Lakeland Blend in one of my 2fts and that is very fine shingle in a mix of natural dark brown shades.

If you do a Google for aquarium gravel or sand I'm sure you will find lots more ideas and the costs involved.

Athena
 
Sorry, I don't think it was BigC - it was one of the other mod's who built a monster tank, big enough to swim in. AndyWG took some pic's iirc...was an epic thread from what I remember.
Okay, well lets hope who ever it was will respond to my thread.

Maybe when I set my tank up, I will have to try to make an Epic thread...lol. :lol:

-FHM
 
Thanks for that!

Also, thanks for the replies thus far!

-FHM
 
Check into pool filter sand. I ran into someone I knew at a lfs fish store once and she was trying to give away a 50 lb bag of it because it was "too dark". Looked like a medium dark brown.
 
Check into pool filter sand. I ran into someone I knew at a lfs fish store once and she was trying to give away a 50 lb bag of it because it was "too dark". Looked like a medium dark brown.
That looks pretty nice too.

Thanks for all the replies!

Keep them coming!

-FHM
 
i think come plant substrates, the conmplete ones that dont need anything on top are a brown colour.
 
i think come plant substrates, the conmplete ones that dont need anything on top are a brown colour.
Yeah I was looking into some of those, I just didn't know if it would be a good idea not to put anything on top of it?

-FHM
 
if you go for the ones designed to be a complete substrate then should be fine. having cichilds you wont have any plants will you?
 
Yes, I will have plants.

I currently have A LOT of plants with my Cichlids right now in my 29 gallon, and they have not touched a single plant in the 3 months I had them,

You can click on my sig where it says "Plants and Cichlids" to get a look of what plants may be suitable for a Cichlid tank.

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top