Substrate Questions

sykogngsta

Fish Crazy
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
240
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Colorado
I have been looking for some cheap substrate for my 29 gallon tank.

I was wondering if play sand would be ok for an aquarium.
 
I use playsand in 4 of my tanks and I havn't noticed any problems. Some people do advocate that you should stir the sand as it has been reported that gas bubbles can build up as play sand compacts easily. The stiring releases these bubbles before they can build up to dangerous levels. How far this is true hasn't been 100% confirmed, so I just stir the sand anyway, better safe than sorry. In anycase the bubbles shouldn't scare you off using sand, I personally think it looks better than gravel.
 
I just bought some pool filter sand last Thursday and I put it into my 29 gallon and it looks great. I have heard that pool filter sand doesn't clog up as is easier to wash out that play sand, I also have heard that just swishing it around to get gas pockets out or get some snails or other aquatic species that buries into sand to help keep gas pockets from forming. I think I've read that even plants will help, I guess the roots break up the pockets.
 
Thanks, I guess I'm going to use play sand for my tank. I am going to have a lot of plants in the tank, so hopefully that helps. I also can add some malaysian trumpet snails becuase i already have some that came with some plants I bought form the fish store :P
 
Be sure to rinse the sand very very well. I rinsed mine 4 times and it still took days to settle.
 
Sand is not all the same grain size. The finer the grain, the harder it will be to vacuum and the more likely it will be to get blown into the water column. If I remember correctly, play sand is a fine grain while pool filter sand is a larger grain.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top