Substrate/Plant Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
1) I plan on starting the aquascaping on 225 Gallon this weekend, just wondering if anyone has had success using specific dirt brands or products sold at their local Home Depot or Lowes instead of the Popular brands like Eco-Complete, Tropica, Seachem...
I would go with those but the cost to fill the tank would be just too great.
I was thinking of finding a safe to use soil that contained a lot of nutrients and then to prevent it from going everywhere top it off with sand.

2) I think I want some rolling hills going on in the tank, would it be better to make the hills completely out of substrate or build them using plastics or other material underneath? Can clarify more if that didn't make sense.

3) Due to the size, are wavemakers going to be necessary? Never used them on the 125 but should I look into them?

4) While doing the Nitrogen Cycle, can I still plant plants or will they affect the whole cycle?

Thank you!!

3) Due to the size, are wavemakers going to be necessary? Never used them on the 125 but should I look into them?

No, not necessary. And problems here, including but not limited to the following.
2) I think I want some rolling hills going on in the tank, would it be better to make the hills completely out of substrate or build them using plastics or other material underneath? Can clarify more if that didn't make sense.

Water circulates continually in an aquarium, even without any filter, and these movements tend to shifty substrate to level things out. So any terracing needs to be built with dividers of some sort that are siliconed to the tank bottom glass. Largish heavy rocks placed directly on the bottom glass can be used, but again they may likely have to be siliconed together especially for sand. I have had many aquascapes over the years (30 now) with initial terracing but after a few months most of the tank is nearly flat.

1) I plan on starting the aquascaping on 225 Gallon this weekend, just wondering if anyone has had success using specific dirt brands or products sold at their local Home Depot or Lowes instead of the Popular brands like Eco-Complete, Tropica, Seachem...
I would go with those but the cost to fill the tank would be just too great.
I was thinking of finding a safe to use soil that contained a lot of nutrients and then to prevent it from going everywhere top it off with sand.

Five issues to consider. First, most (maybe all) of the so-called plant substrates have minimal if any benefit over regular inert sand. Second, the layers will mix in time, depending upon the material and the fish and water activity. Third, some fish (substrate level species) have serious issues with some of these, and the fish may dig too. Fourth, any form of natural soil will cause water chemistry issues for several months; ammonia is primary, and can last for up to six months, which is why the experts in soil substrates recommend a dry start with no fish for six months. Fifth, most if not all of these are not inexhaustible and after one year any regular sand or fine gravel substrate will have identical plant benefits to the expensive plant substrates.

4) While doing the Nitrogen Cycle, can I still plant plants or will they affect the whole cycle?

With live plants, that include some fast growing species (floating plants are best for this) you do not cycle the tank. Plants take up ammonia/ammonium as their primary source of nitrogen, and fast growers can take up quite a lot. The cycle will still establish, naturally, but "unseen" to you and more importantly the fish.

1.) From what I could find if you're going to go with soil from places like Home Depot try getting Organic miracle grow potting soil and top it off with the sand. Some people place foil over the substrate to not stir things up
2.) It'd probably be better to make them out of material since you're looking to save money on substrate.
3.) D13H4RD said "yes, one reason is you can place them in the tank to blow the debris towards your filter helping to reduce waste, another to create surface agitation helping oxigenate the water and third they just love swimming in the current :)"
4. Deanasue said "You could do plants now but they will eat some of the nitrates. Might want to hold off on plants since you a had a rough start. They can eat up nitrates that you are trying to measure right now. They’ll be great after cycle is established."
Hopefully others come and add more inputs. I mostly got this info from other forums with similar questions. I'll post the links here.
1.)https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/live-plants-to-help-in-fish-cycle.141858/
2.)https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/58635-how-make-planted-hills.html
3.)http://africancichlidhub.com/forum/index.php?topic=1136.0
4.)http://www.fishforums.net/threads/advice-with-cycling.451714/

Once again @Byron Thank you for the insight and knowledge you provide, extremely helpful and plan on adjusting how I'll be doing a few things. The 30 years definitely shows!

@Q044 thanks for the links as well, very good reads!

Most reactions

trending

Back