Substrate planning time

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So now that I've figured out my plant situation for my tank renovation I need to find substrate suitable for them. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe of my choices (anubias, sword, java fern and moss) only the sword is a heavy root feeder so I'm planning an inert substrate for the budget with root tabs for the sword and liquid fert for the rest.

I'm considering seachem fluorite for the dark color. It's not completely black so hopefully my dark betta won't disappear on it but I do appreciate the tone it has. Does anyone have experience with it/cheaper recommendations?

So now that I've figured out my plant situation for my tank renovation I need to find substrate suitable for them. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe of my choices (anubias, sword, java fern and moss) only the sword is a heavy root feeder so I'm planning an inert substrate for the budget with root tabs for the sword and liquid fert for the rest.

Correct, and a very good decision.

I'm considering seachem fluorite for the dark color. It's not completely black so hopefully my dark betta won't disappear on it but I do appreciate the tone it has. Does anyone have experience with it/cheaper recommendations?

Flourite is a waste of money. I was persuaded (by well-meaning members of another forum) to use it in my 70g about 8 or 9 years ago, and I quickly came to regret having wasted the $180. First, it is too rough for substrate fish (my cories had a very serious reaction, one even lost 1/3 of its lower jaw, though removing them to a tank with play sand resolved it and I still have them) which may not matter if just a Betta fish is in your tank. But the other thing was that after two years I tore the tank down and dumped the Flourite in a corner of the back garden. It was not the plant growth benefit they claim. I replaced it with inert play sand and the same plants grew just as well, and the fish were all happier.

I would do play sand! Unless your heart is set on dark substrate you can't beat $5

Sand or gravel with plant tabs, I agree with @Byron flourite substrate is a waste of money and when it wears out it is a mess to remove and replace.

Correct, and a very good decision.

Flourite is a waste of money. I was persuaded (by well-meaning members of another forum) to use it in my 70g about 8 or 9 years ago, and I quickly came to regret having wasted the $180. First, it is too rough for substrate fish (my cories had a very serious reaction, one even lost 1/3 of its lower jaw, though removing them to a tank with play sand resolved it and I still have them) which may not matter if just a Betta fish is in your tank. But the other thing was that after two years I tore the tank down and dumped the Flourite in a corner of the back garden. It was not the plant growth benefit they claim. I replaced it with inert play sand and the same plants grew just as well, and the fish were all happier.
Oh goodness sorry to hear about your fish! Thank you for telling me, fluorite is definitely off my list then. I'll be looking into play sand like @JuiceBox52 said.

What are your guys' preferred sands?

Oh goodness sorry to hear about your fish! Thank you for telling me, fluorite is definitely off my list then. I'll be looking into play sand like @JuiceBox52 said.

What are your guys' preferred sands?

I use Quikrete Play Sand. In Canada and the US it seems to be sold by Home Depot and Lowe's. There is a normal "sand" colour of buff/beige, and there is a dark grey mix which I happen to get locally (Home Depot here) that I prefer. But either is safe, very safe.

Other brands may not be. Sakrete was mentioned in another thread as problematic, and they do not even recommend it for aquariums so I would avoid it.

Ah I think I remember that being recommended to me a while ago too! Thank you for the info!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back