substrate creepy-crawlies

Wyld-Fyre

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this aquaria stuff, so please forgive me for my ignorance :S . I have a medium-sized tank with a variety of fishes, plants and a two-level substrate (1x bogwood & lava-rock, 1x medium-sized gravel), but can't help thinking I'm still missing something :crazy: I'm looking for an organism/s that can live within the gravel substrate itself. Does anyone know of a shrimp small enough to live within this level? :D

kuhli loaches like to bury themselves a lot :) What fish do you have so that we can figure out what's compatible?

Malaysian trumpet snails! They are so cool, i love them. Most places that sell plants will have them in their tanks and will usually be more than happy to give you some for free! You only need a couple, they are livebearers and will quickly build a nice population.

Thanks tstenback. As snails don't live within the substrate, it sounds like there's little I can do in this area. :sad:

Chuffed, at the quick responses :D! I have 4x Yo-Yo's (inquisitive), 2x Penguin's (stuck-up), 9x Scissortails (chickens), 1x Bala (collected), and 3 Krib's (bossy). 8)

Thanks tstenback. As snails don't live within the substrate, it sounds like there's little I can do in this area.  :sad:
The Malaysian Trumpets do burrow in the substrate. In fact you'll usually not even see them, they come out when the lights are out and hide in the substrate during the day usually. I've never heard of them carrying diseases, i always have them in my tanks and i've never had any problems.
Malaysian Trumpet Snails are LIVEBEARERS? Now thats new!
Well, so i've read. ;)

Thanks Phantom Thief :lol: I'll give them a go, but I fear they're something for my Yo-Yo's to look forward to (methinks).

Phantom Thief said:
Really? Wow that is cool! Do you have a link to the article?

P.T.
Well i'd link you the article from the Krib but from what i understand that is against the rules of this forum so... if you google for malaysian trumpet snail you will find references to them being livebearers although it seems to be repeated 2nd hand info. I've kept these snails for years and never actually personally witnessed any snail births. :dunno:

Most reactions

Back