Submitted My Goldfish To Their Worst Ordeal Yet.......

Nice! You could set up a business for people on the forum ;)

Ya 3 second memory is a load of rot, one of my lecturers from college was an animal trainer and to prove a point that she could train anything, she trained a fish and got it to do tricks - it was also myth busted on mythbusters :P
 
Im not sure, their memory seems brilliant when theres food involved...

Anyone watch mythbusters? They did a test where they had to train goldfish to swim through a maze or something to get to the food but i cant remember whether it worked or not...

didnt realize people on here watched mythbusters aswell lol
sorry to hijack
 
Im not sure, their memory seems brilliant when theres food involved...

Anyone watch mythbusters? They did a test where they had to train goldfish to swim through a maze or something to get to the food but i cant remember whether it worked or not...

didnt realize people on here watched mythbusters aswell lol
sorry to hijack

mythbusters is ace! My kids know the whole introductory speel by heart LOL :blush:

And anyone who's kept fish will know the 3 second memory thing is a load of tosh! :)
 
the 3 second memory thing spans from us...we have an average memory of 77 years (the average age in the UK which you live) they then took the mass of the human brain of around a 1000 people and then repeated on full grown goldfish...they then compared the mass of the human brain to its memory and then using the same proportions concluded that a fish has a 3 second memory because of the size of its brain

its isnt true obviously

I barely understood any of that, but I guess you are right. I was just saying that is what a radio commercial says.
 
I have taught my fish to bump into the glass when I pretend to kiss the glass, slalom through my fingers when I put my hand spread out in the tank and to come to my finger when I splash the water. All have been trained through positive reinforcement in the form of bloodworms for doing a task correctly it is the simplest way to train an animal and they learn such things very quickly.

How have they found the average human has a memory of 77 years? The life expectancy for men in the UK is 77 and memory can't be quantified as at which point does a memory go from being a fact to a degraded dream filled in with imiagination. Psychological studies have shown that memory in humans is 60-70% factual recall with 30-40% being imagination filling in the details from similar situations and expected results e.g. you get mugged and the persons face is covered, most people will have their imagination fill in the blank when recalling that it was a young man, as that is statistically the most likely person to have committed the crime. Memory recall can be increased with different techniues like mind maps and hypnosis but it is a relatively flimsy measurement, secondly is motor memory part of memory, I drive my car but I don't conciously think to change gear my body does it allowing my concious mind to observe hazards on the road.

Love mythbusters!! Although it is a bit overly American....
 
That's the size tank they are supposed to be in, in the first place.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top