Stunted Plant Growth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dwalk77

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Marble Queen Radican Sword. The leaves don't grow much more than 3 or 4 inches, they lay flat horizontally rather than growing upwards, and they die with age. That being said, it will grow new leaves at about the same rate they are dying. This has been going on for about 6 months or so. From what I've seen online, the plant is much larger when it's thriving, having leaves up to a foot long.

I have about 2" of sand substrate. I add a few root tabs every few months, and also fertilize with easy green and easy iron. I have a light on at the highest setting on an 8 hour timer. I never did CO2.
I have jungle val in the tank as well, and it's been much more successful, spreading and growing rapidly all over the place.
Any suggestions on how I can improve growth? Is 2" enough substrate or should I add more? Also, as leaves die, should I trim them or just let them decompose on their own?

Thanks for any advice

Hello dwalk. I can tell you a little that may help your plant. This type of sword just needs medium light. If you increase the light, you basically tell the plant you want it to grow faster. If you don't give the plant as much food as you do light, growth is going to be sporadic. I guess you could say the plant gets confused if the food and light don't equal one another. Does that make any sense? If I've explained this right, you just need to decrease the light a little. You may have bright light and the plant just needs a little less. Try introducing a floating plant, like Anacharis above your sword, this will decrease the light a bit.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

This plant is a cultivar of the species Echinodorus cordifolius. It is a virus-infested plant, not a cross with another species. Kasselmann (2003) says the virus transfers itself quickly to waterlilies, but mentions no other issues. The submersedand emersed forms can be quite different. I don't know this plant, so here are a couple of sites that may be informative.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back