Stuck mid cycle

Jack96

Reaction score
Having some issues with my latest tank after being out of the hobby for some time, been setup for 6 to 8 weeks. Doing the same as always and cycling with fish. Ammonia is showing up as 0 but nitrate is reading around 75mg/l and nitrite is reading 5mg/l. Been this way for 3 weeks now with 30% water changes and bacteria being added.

Any suggestions or do I just ride it out? And carry on with regular water changes?

How often are you doing water changes? I would definitely be increasing the amount you're changing out though, 30% isn't sufficient especially when you're still dealing with nitrite.

How often are you doing water changes? I would definitely be increasing the amount you're changing out though, 30% isn't sufficient especially when you're still dealing with nitrite.
Daily 30% doing the odd 50% too, what percentage would you recommend?

80% daily if there's still nitrite lurking...have you tested your tap water by any chance?

5 on nitrite is deadly, very poisoning to the fish. Don't mean to rub it in. They will be dying. What fish you got?

5 on nitrite is deadly, very poisoning to the fish. Don't mean to rub it in. They will be dying. What fish you got?
Thankfully the prime has detoxified it enough that I haven't lost any yet, and I have neons, Cory's, rams and guppies in at the moment

Thankfully the prime has detoxified it enough that I haven't lost any yet, and I have neons, Cory's, rams and guppies in at the moment
Ah! I missed that! Also, it only takes a tiny bit of salt to detox nitrite, a small enough amount that even neons and rams could tolerate it, but don't change your gameplan just on what I say, see what others think.

Prime only detoxifies nitrite for around 24 to 36 hours, then it becomes toxic again, so daily large water changes are needed to remove the detoxified nitrite.

Salt, as AlexT said, also helps. See the second half of this for details.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back