Stubborn algae, I've tried everything so it may never go away

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I limit the lighting to 7 hours a day or less, I've tried snails and fish that eat the algae. (I did get shrimp at one point, but I acclimated them wrong and knowing they're that sensitive makes me hesitant to try again) I tried a plastic scraper, magnetic scraper, and an actual sharp blade scraper. All of these did little to nothing. I still have algae on all four walls of the tank. I feel like the only way it could be clean would be getting a new tank and hoping this stubborn of algae won't develop again.

Algae can thrive under any lighting conditions. I'm guessing your tank is relatively new. The first thing to note is that algae can never be entirely eliminated. Algae tends to take over ecosystems that are out of balance. The key is creating a healthy microbiome. Unfortunately, our understanding of aquatic microbiomes is lacking (to put it mildly) and there is no unambiguous recipe for accomplishing this. Nature will do it for you, given enough time.

The following are some general rules:

1. Keep your water changes on a regular schedule. Smaller, more frequent water changes are better than larger water changes made less often. This is especially true if you are overstocked. Which brings us to rule number 2;

2. Don't overstock. The most common minimum tank sizes and gallons/fish requirements you come across should be doubled;

3. Provide adequate filtration. The best filtration systems are sumps, undergravel filters, and large cannister filters;

4. Never clean your filters unless there is a water flow problem. All the gunk you see in your filters is biologically active. It's where the bulk of the microbiome exists and it should be disturbed as little as possible.

5. Following the above rules, a larger aquarium will always be more stable than a smaller aquarium and more conducive to establishing a stable, healthy ecosystem.

The most important attribute of an aquarist is patience. Sadly, it's also the rarest.

I've had a lot of success with hang on tank filters. Also, sponge filters work great for biological filtration and are super cheap- they aren't as good for mechanical filtration, though. I do clean my filter sponge, but not the biological media (little ceramic noodle looking things)- that's where the beneficial bacteria live. Under gravel filters are ok but for me they're a pain- detritus builds up underneath them and is hard to get out- also, if you ever want to change it or remove it, you will have a hard time. I found this video to be helpful- he also compares other types of filters as well- super informational.

Depending on the kind of algae there are suggestions out there for treating it with hydrogen peroxide and a syringe- I haven't done it, but have seen them around. Also, folks say that Flourish Excel will help get rid of beard algae. This article on the Seachem website talks about what to do.

When I put my latest tank together, I was very impatient and could not stop myself from messing with it. I put tons of plants in, and used a cheap kind of CO2 solution. With it, you have to be very diligent to keep it stable, and I was not. I would alternately blast the tank with CO2 and then nothing. Eventually, I started getting beard algae. I kept thinking it would go away- I tried all kinds of stuff, but to no avail.

Eventually, I had to remove all plants and hardscape and completely start again. This time I have gone slowly. I never completely got rid of the beard algae (it is super difficult to scrape off - it is still in a couple of corners and on a few bits of gravel I haven't managed to tweeze out yet), but you have to look hard to find it. I've done a bunch of reading between then and now and went much more slowly with the way I added plants and what I do to feed them.

Knock on wood it'll go better for me this time. I do water changes every other day or so- 2 - 4 gallons (15 gallon total). I also try to only feed the fish every other day because I think I probably over feed.

Good luck - for me it was heartbreaking to take it all down and start over, but it was worth it. Mine had just gotten too far to deal with as it was.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Can we get some pictures of the algae so we know what we're dealing with?

Sometimes it's a matter of how you tolerate algae. To me, some is okay, and it's a sign of a healthy tank. No algae =no life. That's where the request for a photo comes in.

What are the specifications on your lighting? If the kelvin is not close to the range 5000-6500 we can assume the light is causing it.

I've had a lot of success with hang on tank filters. Also, sponge filters work great for biological filtration and are super cheap- they aren't as good for mechanical filtration, though. I do clean my filter sponge, but not the biological media (little ceramic noodle looking things)- that's where the beneficial bacteria live. Under gravel filters are ok but for me they're a pain- detritus builds up underneath them and is hard to get out- also, if you ever want to change it or remove it, you will have a hard time. I found this video to be helpful- he also compares other types of filters as well- super informational.

Depending on the kind of algae there are suggestions out there for treating it with hydrogen peroxide and a syringe- I haven't done it, but have seen them around. Also, folks say that Flourish Excel will help get rid of beard algae. This article on the Seachem website talks about what to do.

When I put my latest tank together, I was very impatient and could not stop myself from messing with it. I put tons of plants in, and used a cheap kind of CO2 solution. With it, you have to be very diligent to keep it stable, and I was not. I would alternately blast the tank with CO2 and then nothing. Eventually, I started getting beard algae. I kept thinking it would go away- I tried all kinds of stuff, but to no avail.

Eventually, I had to remove all plants and hardscape and completely start again. This time I have gone slowly. I never completely got rid of the beard algae (it is super difficult to scrape off - it is still in a couple of corners and on a few bits of gravel I haven't managed to tweeze out yet), but you have to look hard to find it. I've done a bunch of reading between then and now and went much more slowly with the way I added plants and what I do to feed them.

Knock on wood it'll go better for me this time. I do water changes every other day or so- 2 - 4 gallons (15 gallon total). I also try to only feed the fish every other day because I think I probably over feed.

Good luck - for me it was heartbreaking to take it all down and start over, but it was worth it. Mine had just gotten too far to deal with as it was.
I have a sponge filter. Is hydrogen peroxide safe with fish?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Algae can thrive under any lighting conditions. I'm guessing your tank is relatively new. The first thing to note is that algae can never be entirely eliminated. Algae tends to take over ecosystems that are out of balance. The key is creating a healthy microbiome. Unfortunately, our understanding of aquatic microbiomes is lacking (to put it mildly) and there is no unambiguous recipe for accomplishing this. Nature will do it for you, given enough time.

The following are some general rules:

1. Keep your water changes on a regular schedule. Smaller, more frequent water changes are better than larger water changes made less often. This is especially true if you are overstocked. Which brings us to rule number 2;

2. Don't overstock. The most common minimum tank sizes and gallons/fish requirements you come across should be doubled;

3. Provide adequate filtration. The best filtration systems are sumps, undergravel filters, and large cannister filters;

4. Never clean your filters unless there is a water flow problem. All the gunk you see in your filters is biologically active. It's where the bulk of the microbiome exists and it should be disturbed as little as possible.

5. Following the above rules, a larger aquarium will always be more stable than a smaller aquarium and more conducive to establishing a stable, healthy ecosystem.

The most important attribute of an aquarist is patience. Sadly, it's also the rarest.
My tank is two years old. I have platies. I use a sponge filter. And I have a 20 gallon

Usually, the cause of algae is too much light. I breed plecos and the tank lights are only on when I am working in a tank. Ambient room light is minimum, I have no visible algae in any such tanks unless a bit of sun hots them during the day. While most of the tanks are 33 longs, I do have a divided 125 gal. for plecos as well. No algaethat I can see in any of those tanks.

Keeping plants with minimal algae requires one has a good balance between nutrients, light and the needs of the plants. With easy/low light plants you may not need ferts, but you do need to match the brightness of lights and how long they are on to the needs of the plants. Algae strikes when the balance needed by the plants is not what we are supplying to the tanlk. Also, weekly water changes are essential in a planted tank to insure things stay in balance. Too much or too little of specific nutrients on thier own or in combination with improper light levels will always result in algae.

As for how to get rid of what you have, consider a blackout. You keep the lights off and the tank totally dark for about a week. Unless you have fry, the fish can handle not having light or being fed for a week. But then you will still need to find the balance of light and nutrients you should have.

I have a sponge filter. Is hydrogen peroxide safe with fish?
Note that I have never tried killing algae with Hydrogen Peroxide, but I've read that it can be done without harming fish. Here's an article I found about it. I also read about using a syringe to squirt it directly on the algae after turning the filter off temporarily. I don't remember where I read it, so I would suggest doing some reading before trying it.

Sorry to add to the mass of replies 🤣, but two things:
First. have you tried adding in a plant called Hornwort? It can grow over an inch per day, and is good at fighting algae.
Second: Is your tank near an window?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back