Thomas 2507
Fishaholic
- Joined
- Feb 11, 2008
- Messages
- 528
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 0
Okay, so this month's Practical Fishkeeping magazine has inspired me to create a stream biotype. I have been thinking about it over the last couple of weeks and have come up with some ideas. The biotype will be in a 40l that I have (not the biggest aquarium, I know).
I know fast flowing streams don't typically have many plants although I don't think my biotype would be complete without some. In the back right hand corner there will be three large Java Ferns to hide the heater a little. The gravel will be in a slope with the Ferns being atthe top, if that makes sense. There will be a twiggy stick coming from between the Ferns too.
There may also be a fern in the back left corner too just to even the scape out a bit. I this aquarium there is a filter with a very powerful outake, thus creating a great flow. The filter will be placed on the left glass pane so that the flow is pushed right to the other side of the tank.
The tank will house around six Zebra/Leopard Danios. There may also be some shrimp when the tank becomes a bit more 'overgrown'. There will be several types of moss, pebbles and hairgrass scattered between the twigs on the floor to create a more natural feel. The Danios will hopefully breed in the tank and hopefully some of the eggs will survive, covered by the dense plants on the stream bed.
How does this sound? I can't wait to get it all up and running! Suggestions would be great.
I know fast flowing streams don't typically have many plants although I don't think my biotype would be complete without some. In the back right hand corner there will be three large Java Ferns to hide the heater a little. The gravel will be in a slope with the Ferns being atthe top, if that makes sense. There will be a twiggy stick coming from between the Ferns too.
There may also be a fern in the back left corner too just to even the scape out a bit. I this aquarium there is a filter with a very powerful outake, thus creating a great flow. The filter will be placed on the left glass pane so that the flow is pushed right to the other side of the tank.
The tank will house around six Zebra/Leopard Danios. There may also be some shrimp when the tank becomes a bit more 'overgrown'. There will be several types of moss, pebbles and hairgrass scattered between the twigs on the floor to create a more natural feel. The Danios will hopefully breed in the tank and hopefully some of the eggs will survive, covered by the dense plants on the stream bed.
How does this sound? I can't wait to get it all up and running! Suggestions would be great.







