macky1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
strange dark markings are appearing on my goldfish in my pond
they are about 4 inch long and seem very happy and healthy

any ideas :/

thanx

macky

When you say marks, can you give a detailed description and tell me what the water conditions are and if there are any other living creatures in the pond?

I have koi that has these very light black spots on his back hes had them for about a year and they havent seem to effected hem have a close look at u fish and see if its mouldy like fungy or somthin

on my largest goldfish
on its left flank the tips of the scales seem to have changed black
just on a small patch about an inch long they dont look like a fungas type infection and they dont seem to bother the fish at all
the other fish in the pond seem fine (goldfish,orfe,koi,sturgeon,roach)

its very odd

i will try taking a pic and emailing it to any one who wants it

cheers macky :/

It is interesting, some Koi do change their colouration as they mature and dependant on the amount of sunlight they are exposed to. I suppose you can say it's equilivant to us getting sunburn. I have looked this up and all my books and resources tell me if your fish does not seem to be ailing at all, then leave alone. Although something like stress-coat maybe added to the pond to give the skin a slime coating. Fish naturally exude slime as a barrier against infection, if the slime has been dried up due to too much sun exposure,they get burned just like us, so replacing the slime in the form of stress coat may prevent any further changes to this or the other fishes you have. Stress isn't just crowding or infighting, there are many causes for stress, and sun exposure is just another one.

it could be sun burn
but they seem to spend a lot of time in the shady areas when the sun is at its hottest only coming out to have a bit of a chase around.
will apply some stress coat see if it helps

thanx for the info
will keep u informed

macky :D

You are very welcome macky, it is nice for a member to have appreciation for the assistance given to them. :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Back