Strange looking platy fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tedsta118

Reaction score
20200822_130507.jpg

Does anyone know what's up with my Platy fish? She's been like this for months now. I've tried treatment with API melanix and no change. My water parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite
5/10 nitrate.

Attachments

• 20200822_130507.jpg
    20200822_130507.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 108
Do you happen to know the GH and KH of your water?

Apart from the fin rot, are there any other symptoms (lesions, discoloration, bloating, etc.)?

What other fish are in the tank?

Do you use freshwater aquarium salt?

Hi, thank you for replying. The Kh it was 120 and the Gh is 180. The scales also have the pinecone effect, however the fish is fairly slim, particularly for a female. I have 4 other platies, 7 cherry barbs 3 otocinclus and a few snails in the tank, as well as a lone leapord danio. I do not use aquarium soil. Thank you:)

Hi, thank you for replying. The Kh it was 120 and the Gh is 180. The scales also have the pinecone effect, however the fish is fairly slim, particularly for a female. I have 4 other platies, 7 cherry barbs 3 otocinclus and a few snails in the tank, as well as a lone leapord danio. I do not use aquarium soil. Thank you:)
And my 2 honey gouramis. I don't know how i forgot them lol.

your GH is pretty low for livebearers (fine for your other fish, but bit high for the otos)

This fish seems older, how long have you had her?

With losing weight and pinecone scales, ive seen this happen where a fish was overwhelmed with internal parasites where they wasted away but then developed infection at the end. Not a good outlook if this is the case.

your GH is pretty low for livebearers (fine for your other fish, but bit high for the otos)

This fish seems older, how long have you had her?

With losing weight and pinecone scales, ive seen this happen where a fish was overwhelmed with internal parasites where they wasted away but then developed infection at the end. Not a good outlook if this is the case.
That was my gut feeling. I bought her around October/November 2018 so I believe its an age thing. I'll watch the others and if anything goes wrong with them I'll treat them all for internal parasites. Thanks for your help:)

Oh yeah thats very likely an age thing then. Considering they're already 6 months old at least in shops unless you bought her as a fry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back