Stone Chips On Tank, Can They Be Repaired?

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
6,367
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
I am having the most awful day!!!! I was woken at 5.45 by my elderly dog who had fallen in the kitchen, she is a bit shook up but ok. Then my 2 year old threw my mobile phone into the dogs water bowl. Now I have just gone outside to find my dopy german shepherd digging in a pile of sand and gravel (we are doing some building work) and she has sprayed sand and gravel all over my rio 300 and rio 400 (the tanks are empty apart from the sand now). Luckily the 400 has escaped any damage but the rio 300 has chips in the glass (like you get on car windscreens) its not gone all the way through, but I can see the marks and feel intents. Can they be repaired or is the tank scrap?
 
They may be repairable with silicone, or if its one piece of glass, that piece could be removed and replaced. Are they deep holes or just scratches?

Sorry your having such a bad day :(
 
Hi Minxy, they are just chips out of the glass, I suppose luckily it is on the back of the tank. I may try dapping silicon on them when I re-seal the tank. I wouldnt mind but I got it cheap because it was leaking and it was the only one of my tanks that didnt have any scratches on!!!! now it looks like its riddled with bullet holes! (ok I maybe exagerating that a bit lol)

I just want to go back to bed :lol:
 
Try a good quality aquarium sealant, then of course let it dry properly and fill, leave it outside in case and see if it holds.

I feel for ya, I always wish I could go back to bed :rolleyes:
 
Might be a crazy suggestion, but could autoglass or similar repair it do you think? I know car windscreens don't have to deal with the pressure of water, but it might work.
 
Might be a crazy suggestion, but could autoglass or similar repair it do you think? I know car windscreens don't have to deal with the pressure of water, but it might work.

If you can convince them to come to your house or take the tank to one of those stalls you see in car parks then maybe... :lol:
 
Woohooooooo, just by chance I typed in glass chips into an on-line auction place and there is a product that can be used to remove chips and scratches.

At lease the day isnt all bad, a double bill of NCIS on in a bit if I stay awake long enough lol
 
Its not a drill attachment is it?

If so,

STOP... NOW

Itll weaken the glass which could give way... and release the contents of your aquarium into your floor.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top