Stocking Suggestions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

water_boy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive decided to go salty and got myself a small tank in which to do it. THanks to all the awesome and inspiring journals and advice on here i am very clear on the equipment requirments so dont need any help on that front but i do need help with knowing what i can keep. I am looking for it to be a reef set up so i will be needing advice on CUC as well as fish mates. It is a 70ltr tank by the way - would also like to know how much LR would be required for that size tank (2ftx1ft 18inch high).

Fish that i really like are the Banggai cardinal and im quite a fan of striped shrimp (i believe the pepermint shrimp may be its name). SO any advice would be great :good:

You will need approx 8/9 kilos of live rock :good:

peppermint shrimp are pink and hide most of the time, are you sure that is what you mean?

I would be looking for a bottom dwelling goby or blenny and then a mid and upper swimming fish, maybe an orchid dotyback or even one of the smaller fairy wrasses

Seffie x

peppermint shrimp are pink and hide most of the time, are you sure that is what you mean?

I would be looking for a bottom dwelling goby or blenny and then a mid and upper swimming fish, maybe an orchid dotyback or even one of the smaller fairy wrasses

Seffie x

hmm maybe they arent the ones i mean....these ones...

clean1.jpg

Seffie x

im really liking the look of the tiger watchman goby is that suitable? :hyper:

Those are skunk shrimp, or more commonly known as cleaner shrimp.
They tend to hide untill feeding time lol.
And a shrimp/goby pair would be perfect in that size tank.

Thank you sorgan, so far....

--------------------------
1xtiger watchman goby
2xBanggai cardinal

CUC

1xCleaner shrimp

I believe i need more CUC dont I? any suggestions please?

You will regret the cardinals - they are so boring, they just hang there!!

Seffie x

You will regret the cardinals - they are so boring, they just hang there!!

Seffie x

Yeah ive heard that from someone else today aswell,so went to my LFS and watched a few of them for 15 mins...your both right :lol:

SO mind has been changed to cliche clowns :D but im thinking the black ones as i am hoping to have lots of colour in my reef so will be a nice contrast.

Update...

1xtiger watchman goby
2xBlack clowns

CUC

1xCleaner shrimp

Still need advice on my CUC please?

I would recommend a cleaner shrimp, I loved mine, they can be very entertaining, mine never hide and love to come out to play :cool:

If you have a bit of money to spend have a look at the assessor, they are lovely small fish and perfect for a nano, I had a yellow one, but the blue is gorgeous, if hard to get hold of, if you're interested in getting one talk to your LFS they might be able to order one.

I also disagree about the cardinals, my Pyjama survived my recent tank crash and he swims around all over the place :good:

Have you thought of a firefish, they are stunning fish and fine in a nano.

I have 2 cleaner shrimp and they are better than the fish!! they are always out and active and at feeding time go crazy for the food

I would definately advise a blenny, I have one and he is ace and why not a firefish or royal gramma rather than the clownfish

CUC, hermits and snails add interest to the tank :good:

I have 2 cleaner shrimp and they are better than the fish!! they are always out and active and at feeding time go crazy for the food

I would definately advise a blenny, I have one and he is ace and why not a firefish or royal gramma rather than the clownfish

CUC, hermits and snails add interest to the tank :good:

Thank you Simonas, i have also read your journal which i really enjoyed and found very helpful. :good:

id like to put some hermits and snails on the list but im really looking for advice on which particular ones are suitable and in what quantities?

ok so ive done a lot more reading since i first posted and think i have a good idea of my stocking list now for fish and inverts so here it is....

2x Saddleback clown fish
1x Hifin Yellow Nose Goby
2x blue legged Hermits
3x Nassarius Snail
2x Peppermint Shrimp/cleaner shrimp

Let me know what you think of this list and if it is suitable for the tank and for them together. Im not going to put a list together for corals yet as i am very much looking forward to getting hold of my copy of "THE BOOK" and doing a lot of reading to get it right as well as a lot of hunting coral shops for those beauties - exciting times :hyper:

saddle backs grow a bit big i think for a 70 litre, i might be wrong, cleaner shrimp are fine IMO, two black occelaris might be nice in there instead as u mentioned them before
check out royal grammas/ yellow tail blue damsels/ pyjama cardinals for a reasonably hardy, burst of colour

Yes you are right Matt they do get a bit big so heres the revised list...

2x black occelaris
1x Hifin Yellow Nose Goby
2x blue legged Hermits
3x Nassarius Snail
2x Peppermint Shrimp/cleaner shrimp

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back