Stocking Suggestions For 20G

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

We also got a peacock gudgeon that we're hoping/feel is a male. It seems the forehead is already starting to develop.
Unfortunately, his tail is all torn up.

He did not resist the net at all when I picked him up out of the bucket, didn't flop around whilst in the net, and barely swam out of the net once I put it into the tank.
Then he laid underneath a plant for a while, our female peacock gudgeon kept coming over to look at him.

Later when we checked in the male had moved and took us a bit to find it, was up towards the top laying on a leaf.
Next time we looked, nowhere to be seen, so I think he's in one of the ship decorations. I really hope he makes it.
yay.gif
(

Fed the tanks frozen bloodworms for the first time. I was hoping the male would perk up but one floated right near him and no response.
Unfortunately the rainbows & tetras got to them before the female gudgeon could try any.

I tried very slowly lowering my hand to her with some inbetween my fingers, so I could lay them in front of her.
She ran away of course.
tongue2.gif

Didn't get many pics of the neon tetras as was worrying over the gudgeon & whatnot. But here you go!

100_1917.jpg

100_1918.jpg

100_1919.jpg

100_1920.jpg

100_1934.jpg

100_1935.jpg

Try to ignore the mess in some of the pictures.

I'm not sure if it's poop or dead plant matter, but it sure looks icky.
I change the water each week & vacuum up as much as I can, although the bigger clumps are not getting sucked up so I have to pick them up by hand. 

Nice Neon Tetras, it's hard to go wrong with them for a tight schooling fish.

Thanks Ruskull! :)

I was actually one of the people who found them to be "common" like Eagles was saying. But each time I went to the store and saw them I kept finding them more and more beautiful. Very glad we went with them.
They're all doing well still, but unfortunately the male peacock gudgeon died that night. :(

sad1.gif
 sorry to hear your gudgeon died  
rip.gif

On a brighter note, your neons are looking good 
smile.png

Ch4rlie said:
sad1.gif
 sorry to hear your gudgeon died  
rip.gif

On a brighter note, your neons are looking good 
smile.png
Just the newest bought male, so wasn't very attached yet. I still was really sad though. My beautiful female is still bright and healthy!
Thank you :D

Awwww, sorry to hear about your male gudgeon! Did you get a replacement? 

The neons look great! A good addition to the tank!

Glad you like the neons! Have not gotten another male yet, hopefully tomorrow.
The place I like to go to is having their 10th Anniversary Event, and one of the employee's last time I was there said she would try to hand pick a male for me at the wholesaler.

Here are some new pictures, once again sorry for any mess in them. Any tips to help with this would be appreciated, or perhaps identification if it's poo or dead plant matter. Maybe both? 
blush.png

100_2019.jpg

100_2020.jpg

100_2007.jpg

100_2014.jpg

100_2039.jpg

100_2054.jpg

100_2010.jpg

100_2059.jpg

Just thought you'd like to know:
According to my research, All of your fish, with only the possible exeption of the peacock Gudgeon are compatible with ADULTS of any of the common cardina/neocardina dwarf shrimp species.

BTW, beautiful tank.
smile.png
, and sorry to hear about your Male gudgeon.
rip.gif

Thank you for that info! Imagine it'd be silly of me to get shrimp though since I do have the peacock gudgeon, and she's not going anywhere. :p
Is it possible that if one were to get adult shrimp while the peacock gudgeons are still small that they may not see them as food?

Well, I know that the amano shrimp would easily be big enough to not be eaten most of the time, but there should be plenty of hiding places hard for the gudgeon to get into because when a shrimp molts it's body is very soft and it can then be killed even by a fish it's own size, if said fish is big enough.
The Ghost shrimp usually sold as feeders would also be comfortably big enough, just be sure that you don't get a Machrobrachium species, as these are sometimes sold along with ghost/glass shrimp, but are predatory and could kill/maim any of the fish in your tank at full size (over 3" for some species!)
I've heard that the dwarf shrimp are compatible with Peacock Gudgeons when adults, but any babies will be aggressively hunted down and eaten by your gudgeon.
Personally, if I was going this route I'd get just one of the largest available individuals of whichever of the dwarf varieties you wanted, to "test the waters" so to speak.

Great tank :)

I recently got a few grass shrimp (often sold as ghost shrimp and are from southeastern US - notably Florida). They are very entertaining - though the watching then digest food thing is more icky than cool to me :p The big ones are quite brave and will even walk over my ADFs to get at food. If you do get some shrimp, they definitely need hiding places - mine prefer plants over decorations for hiding.

I don't much care for amanos or ghosts, I like the shrimps with lots of color :) No hiding places in this tank that the gudgeon can't get into, unfortunately. And no floor space to add anything else! :lol: My dad really loves the ships.
When getting the male peacock gudgeon today I was asking the girl about shrimp and the only ones they had were red ones in a different part of the building.
She urged me not to try any with the gudgeons or in my other tanks, since I told her what we have.
I think I'll leave it alone for now, and hopefully get a tank just for shrimp one day. Thank you very much for your advice though Jeremy & thank you for the compliment Alita!

The male gudgeon is drip acclimating now, he looks A LOT better than the last male I tried. Will take pics later. :)

Such a great change from the last one we tried. He sat still for a few seconds then started moving around after being introduced to the tank.
It didn't take too long before the female noticed him and came over. They circled each other a few times and then the female took him over to one of the boats and went inside.
The mister decided he'd rather look for some food
tongue2.gif
It was really cute to watch them though! They also kept leaning on their sides towards each other.

Pictures!
happy.png

100_2154.jpg

100_2155.jpg

100_2161.jpg

100_2166.jpg

100_2172.jpg

100_2174.jpg

100_2176.jpg

100_2177.jpg

100_2191.jpg

Nawww, they're adorable!!!!

Great to see that you got a healthier looking male this time! Sounds like a nice LFS too!

Congrats on being a chatroom mod too!

That's great! :)

Glad to see he's got company now.

And yes, nice one on becoming a chat mod! :)

Most reactions

trending

Back