FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ninjouzata

Two Eels Are Better Than One
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Hello! Would like some help with stocking again
tongue2.gif

We got a used 20g flatback hex tank for 30$ with hood/light and filter. Had to replace the filter..it was an Aqua-Tech 5-15 and we got a Aqua-Tech 20-40 instead.
It doesn't have a lid..not even sure if these come with lids? Any ideas on what to do about it?
No idea what kind of lights we have right now, guess we'll figure that out later.
Will be purchasing a heater.
Anyways..due to it being on the tall side and a little bit different shape I have no idea how the stocking should be, also no idea what we want to put in it.

tankdimensions-1.jpg

100_0918.jpg

More pics of the tank: http://s114.photobucket.com/user/ninjouzata_2006/library/Hex%20Tank
So, yeah, any suggestions are welcome. Dad would prefer everything able to be gotten at Petco but please feel free to give suggestions of fish that aren't from there, I imagine if he likes the look of it enough he'll be okay with going somewhere else
smile.png
Our pH is 7.6 and we have hard water if that helps any.
Some preferences are colorful, hardy, community-friendly fish. I realize that doesn't narrow it down much at all
laugh.png
Sorry! Thank you.
smile.png

I forgot to say that a fish I and my father liked the look of was silver-tip tetras, but still largely undecided. Looking forward to people's suggestions :)

Thinking about stocking this as a 'nano' tank, even though its bigger than a nano, because of the strange dimensions - its not a '20 gallon' tank in the truest sense.

I'm thinking something like: 

6-8 mosquito rasboras or lambchop rasboras
6-8 ember tetras
a pair of peacock gudgeons 

maybe a trio of male endlers to finish it.

Thank you for the quick response Eagles!
I rather prefer the mosquito & lambchop rasboras over the ember tetras, could it be 6-8 of each of those instead and the pair of peacock gudgeons?
Endlers I feel so iffy on, when I first started they didn't appeal to me at all but after seeing them from some peoples tanks I am warming up to them. Would they be aggressive to each other?

Sure, you could do both the rasboras...

As for the endlers being aggressive to each other... not in my experience.  They will flare at each other but that's about it.  If 3 get a but aggressive, just boost that number to 5 and the problem should be eliminated by having more members to tangle with, and a single fish will be less likely to be bullied.

Looks like a great betta tank.... :D

Okay, thank you Eagles.
Haha Sam :D I thought of that too but my dad would like to have more than that.
More suggestions are welcomed! ^_^

Does he like goldfish?
browse.jpeg

Probably get a few thousand in there.

:rofl: He did say "Why not?" when I told him we can't put goldfish in it.

Nice looking tank, once its clean it will be a promising start :p
Hmm as for stocking suggestions EA as covered it a bit and I'm pretty sure you'll know what my suggestions are :p

- Neon Tetras
- Harlequin Rasboras
- Flame Tetras
- Pygmy Corycats (dont have too much experience with these other than they are are schooling fish, much like the corydoras... haha go figure :p but they are cute as heck! )
- Blue-eye spotted rainbows
- White Cloud Mountain Minnows
- Black Tetras

Are you thinking of anything else in the tank like snails, shrimp?

I like pretty much all of those fish haha!
The neons and harlequins being my preferred which I think lamb chops are a smaller version of the harlequins?
I do like pygmy cories but am already going to be getting hasbrosus for another tank so not sure if I would want more of them or not.
Don't the white clouds like it a bit cooler? ;o
Havn't thought of any snails although shrimp would be neat to have..
I've also been wondering if diamond tetras would be okay in this tank.
Thank you for the suggestions :D

The white clouds do like it a bit cooler, 18-22C so probably not such a good suggestion, my bad haha :p
Yeah, personally love shrimp, watching them eat keeps me entertained for a while.
The Diamond Tetra I think would be good in a small school but I have no personal experience with them.

It's fine :D
After having a further search on the blue-eyed spotted rainbows they look absolutely amazing. Doubt I could get a hold of any though :-(

The WCMM also are active swimmers, they will need more length to swim in than the 24 inches max of that tank.

Good to know! No worries, didn't want them anyway :p
Any thoughts on the diamond tetras or blue-eyed spotted rainbows?

Just my opinion on what I'd stock if I had that exact tank:

(1) Dwarf Gourami

(3) Fancy Guppies

(8) Espei Rasboras

(6) Pygmy Corries

That's what I'd do, but you could change up the Pygmy Corries for (6) Otocinclus Catfish since they're great cleaners of algae.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back