Stocking Suggestions 125Ltr

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dougie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All,
As title says, I've been given a tidy 125 litre Juwel, full set up, with just a single bristlenose living in it.
Any suggestions on stocking, obviously looking at dwarf cichlids, but open to any ideas :)
Cheers.

How about kribs? Rams if you don't want to deal with breeding aggression. A colomy of convicts could be fun. There are others I can't think of....

Love your profile pic by the way :)

Hi TallTree,

Thanks for the suggestions, I've done cribs, and convicts. I'll have a look at rams, how many could I have in there?

Glad you like the pic :)

I'm not great with cichlids but I would hazard a guess that 2 pairs would be the maximum amount. Is it a long or a tall 125 liter?

I'm no expert on Rams but as I wouldn't put more than one Krib pair in that sized tank I'd be reluctant to do the same with Rams.

Rams are about half the size of kribs so *theoretically* they only take up half the territory space so *theoretically* 4 rams would take up the same space as 2 kribs. :p

I'd still be reluctant!
smile.png

It's hit and miss with cichlids mostly tbh. Sometimes you'll get a super nasty one and other times you'll get really relaxed ones. :)

125 liters is a great sized tank for dwarf cichlids or even medium sized like Rainbows or Blue Acaras

First we can explore the idea of Rams if you like them though :)

Firstly you need to split them into the two appropriate groups - Bolivian Rams and Blue Rams (Blue Rams include all the colour morphs available)

If you go for Bolivians a group of 4 will work great they are slightly gregarious cichlids and will appreciate the company with these I would keep things like Cories, Pencil fish or Tetras and you could even go for a trio of spotted headstanders - a small LDA10 red lizard whiptail would work nice as well.

Or if you go for the Blue Rams or any of the brilliant colour morphs two pairs could technically exist in that tank but would be risky and you might be better off getting a large group of young rams and letting them grow out and try to find the pairs in this case oyu may only find one pair you may get two it is hard to tell. If you did this I would look into the needs of Blue Rams which are often high temperatures and low ph - the low ph can be achieved easily via peat in the filter or almond leaves in the tank which you can get off ebay. In this tank set up the best tank mates are a large school of Rummy Nose Tetras and a large group of Sterbai Cories - these are fish commonly kept in these conditions with discus and also translate into this situation as well.

Just as a curve ball a pair of Rainbow Cichlids with a group of Dwarf Hoplos, a trio of Sword Tails and some Red Eye Tetras would be a great cental americanish biotope as well :)

Tall Tree - its great to help out but the amount of guess work that went into your replies is slightly concerning. In this case the OP would probably have been okay but guessing how many cichlids to put in a tank is always way to risky espeically when there are so many great resources to learn from out there - some dwarfs can take up a surprising amount of space like some apistos would want this whole tank to a pair or trio depending on the dominance of the females where as Laetacara are documented as taking up a roughly 6 - 7 inch square of territory - though thats not to say you use that as a ruler accurate rule. Also as a flip side - in the wild Apistos live in huge colonies during the dry season with often literally hundreds if not thousands in a few meters of a small creek - though this is very hard to replicate in a tank though I imagine it would follow a similar method to African Cichlids where you overstock and over filter on purpose but its not a particularly tried and tested technique in tanks and was only really discussed about a year ago when legendary Ichthyologist Alf Sthalsberg documented finding them like this. I dont mean to lecture but when people use phrases like "I'm not great with cichlids but I would hazard a guess" I feel I need to intervene.

Hope its helped all round :)
Wills

Hi Wills,

Thanks for a great reply. Like the Bolivian suggestion, would be easy enough to get all those from the LFS around here. I've always liked Rainbows, thought the tank would be too small, going to seriously look into that arrangement. I've never seen rainbows for sale around Birmingham though, let alone a pair. I'm not in a hurry though, I could get a trio or more of cories or sword tails at the weekend to get a bit of movement in the tank & disturb the peace of the Bristlenose.

Thanks again :)

I have a pair of GBR in a 125l tank with some tetras and corys, i must advise against having multiple pairs in there, when my pair spawn, they can be pretty nasty towards the corys and chasing the inquisitive tetras. I can only imagine the chaos that would happen if there was another pair of rams in there.

Hi All,

taking Wills' advice I picked up a Blue Acara a week ago, only one left in the LFS & was a bit tatty. I've given it a week to recover before posting pics - not easy it does not stay still! It's not even 2 inches long yet, but any ideas if it's M or F?

cheers in advance.

Dougie

Very nice!!! If they were tatty a week ago you have done a great job they look like a cracker! Sexing is hard this young at the moment I would guess its a female because of the rounded anal and dorsal fins.

Wills

Thanks Wills, yeah, fins had a few splits & 'she' was very dull, almost grey. Perhaps stressed out? Only started to colour up over the last few days. Very responsive already when I go near the tank.
LFS by work has a few swordtails, going to keep an eye on them over the next few weeks as I've always been a bit suspect about the condition of their fish.

Thanks again :)

Most reactions

trending

Back