The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BetterWithBettas

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi all!
I have a stocking question for my 2 tanks. Neither tank is new/newly set up. They are both cycled but until now have only ever housed one Betta in each.

We recently sold our 4 ft community tank and I kept some of the other inhabitants that I particularly liked and split them up between my two Betta tanks. So I wanted to know if I am now overstocked!

Tank 1: my 60 litre houses my veil tail. He now lives with 4 otos and 2 mystery snails. No aggression to the new arrivals noted - it's been about 1.5 weeks since adding!

Tank 2: 75 litre tank which houses my plakat Betta. He now lives with 5 nerite snails and 1 Mystery snail. He is the more aggressive out of my Bettas so other fish was a no-no (had already tried in the past) he doesn't even seem to notice the snails.

Can anyone please tell me if either of my tanks are over stocked? I know mystery snails poop a lot.

My current maintenance schedule is 2 x water changes with a gravel vac at 20% each (40% per week). I have always had this schedule as I try to keep my water pristine for my bettas. Is this okay to continue with my new stock or should I increase % per water change?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

I do not see any immediate issues with either tank. Just keep an eye on the Betta/otos relationship, as male Bettas spending their time near the surface and the otos will be up there too if there are plants/decor or just the tank glass to graze, and the Betta might suddenly decide "no." But otherwise, fine; I suppose a Betta could try to nip the snail (?). Snails by the way do not contribute extra to the bioload, unless you are adding food just for them. Otherwise, they eat any organic matter they find which is already in the system, and they break it down faster for the bacteria to deal with.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

I do not see any immediate issues with either tank. Just keep an eye on the Betta/otos relationship, as male Bettas spending their time near the surface and the otos will be up there too if there are plants/decor or just the tank glass to graze, and the Betta might suddenly decide "no." But otherwise, fine; I suppose a Betta could try to nip the snail (?). Snails by the way do not contribute extra to the bioload, unless you are adding food just for them. Otherwise, they eat any organic matter they find which is already in the system, and they break it down faster for the bacteria to deal with.
Thanks for responding! Noted about adding food for the snails :) both tanks are heavily planted and that makes for pleantly of hiding spots for the new arrivals and food for the snails! I have had mixed experiences with having my previous Bettas with tank mates so this time I only kept the snails and otos as I have a back up: I do have a 75 litre, cycled and planted shrimp tank that I can rehome the snails and /or otos in If needed! I will be sure to keep an eye on both tanks in the coming weeks :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back