Stocking ideas

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

MattW3344

fishy wishy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi, all I have a Fluval flex (34L) that has been set up for around a month now I originally had 5 ember tetras from my old tank however two died. I'm considering changing the stocking to another nano fish such as rasboras or another type of tetra. However, because of the style of the aquascape is another type of fish a good idea? Or should I just add a few more embers as there is only a growing monte Carlo carpet and no plants for fish to use as cover.

The current stocking is

3x ember tetra
1x nerite snail
3x Amano shrimp

Attachments

• image_50403841.JPG
    image_50403841.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 47
Good looking scape :) But as you mentioned Iwagumi is not always great when it comes to keeping fish as they get no cover. Have you considered growing some stem plants along the back of the tank? Maybe something with fine leaves like a Limnophilla or a Miriophyllum species? Miriophyllum sp.Guyana is quite low growing so you could use that in the centre behind the rocks and a taller species like Limnophilla Sessiflora in the corners?

In terms of adding a different school, any of the nano species will do well in here maybe 10 of some of the tiny species like Chilli or Sparrow Rasboras or 6-8 of a larger species like the Embers or Green Neon Tetras?

Wills

Thanks for the idea! As for the stocking, I've also been given the idea by a friend of doing a Neocaridina species tank but I'm not sure mixing them with amanos in a small tank is the best idea.

The Ember Tetras are near the bottom for good reason--they are stressed by the overhead light. This is common with most forest fish species. Floating plants solve this problem, I suppose taller plants might too, depending.

Thanks for the info. That would make sense as in my old tank I had the surface covered with Salvinia and the fish were usually swimming around. I actually still have some frogbit left from another tank that I can use. I didn't want to put any in at the start of this tank as the Montecarlo I have doesn't have C02 injection so the lights were made brighter during the day than I usually set them to encourage growth.

I have a 34L Flex, too! Bought for a betta, which died - it is a perfect betta tank.
I now currently have 6 stupidly healthy patterned cherry shrimp in there - 3 male, 3 female and, I think, babies on the way. They have 3 rocks, a nice chunk of mopani wood, an almond leaf, and black gravel substrate.
I have just bought 6 boraras urophthalmoides (yeah, I copied and pasted that) and 3 pygmy corys, bought just this morning, which are in a quarantine tank. In a quarantine bowl I have water lettuce and marimo balls, and I have some in vitro plants on the way. I'm trying to avoid a battle with detritus worms...
I was advised re neocaridina to only keep the same colour unless you're happy to have wild-coloured (ie no colour of note) babies.
I'd definitely get some light-dappling plants in there. I'm not going to be able to have mine grown out by the time my rasboras and corys finally get into their new home, so I'm going to be spending a fortune on almond leaves...
I like your carpet plants. How do you gravel clean the substrate, though?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back