New Scape 60L

MattW3344

fishy wishy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi, all this is my 60L nanocube from Dennerle. I wanted to create a corner jungle with open swimming space to see the fish more since my past scape was basically nothing but plants and an occasional fish dropping by. I used a mixture of Fluval stratum, JBL aquabasis plus, and JBL mando for the planted area. While I used play sand and pea pebbles for the foreground. I left this tank fishless for around 2 days before the first inhabitants but used a DIY C02 system on day 1. Three ottos went in first with the next day being the amanos. I tested the water with an API kit twice a day to make sure of any irregularities. On day 4 I saw a spike in Nitrates which I countered with a %40 water change. I understand adding fish this quickly can be a touchy subject for some. However, over 3/4 of the plants and planted substrate were from my old scape of 10 months so I had full confidence that beneficial bacteria was still present.

The other inhabitants are made up of rasbora, tetra, and gourami. I understand no ember tetra should be on their own but I've had trouble rehoming the single ember. As for the rasbora I originally had 6 with breeding occurring regularly. However, I've lost 3 to jumping out of the tank, and I'm hoping the single female and two males will breed soon. I've had fry in my old tank before but they were unable to make it to adulthood either through predation or being consumed into the filter. Overall I think this is one of the better scapes that I've done in 4 years of fishkeeping.

Any questions or ideas for improvement are welcome thanks.

Plants and Fish
----------------

Rotala rotundifolia H'ra
Rotala Indica
Ludwigia Mini Super red
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hygrophila corymbosa compact
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Cryptocoryne undulatus
Alternanthera reineckii 'mini'
Staurogyne repens
Bolbitis heudelotii