stocking ideas

Blake

New Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello,

I'm just starting out in brackish, not much experience at all really, and I'm in the process of setting up a 40 long. The tank has been through its begining cycle and I picked up some mollies about a little over a week ago now, which seem to be doing well (today I found fry in the tank, so I'm taking that as a good sign. :).

On to my question. A friend of mine got me wanting to set up a brackish to house a GSP or two. While I still like the idea of the puffer, I'm not 100% sold on it, so I figured I'd ask if anyone here had any suggestions for brackish fish that would work well in a 40 long.

Thanks,
Blake
 
Hi Blake,

I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers to this, reflecting each persons' experiences and preferences. But my basic thoughts are this: while some people have some success keeping green spotted puffers with other fish, my experience is that they are unpredictable and potentially aggressive.

For me, what's attractive about brackish water is the variety of fish you can keep. Some pretty, some strange. There are some really nice gobies out there, such as violet gobies and Awaous spp. gobies. I have a soft spot for halfbeaks. If you like a challenge, there are soles and pipefish. There are obviously things like glassfish, livebearers, and killifish as well. If you can stick with the smaller stuff, you can build a pretty cool community around some of the smaller species in a 40 gallon tank (in fact that is about the size of the tank I have).

Pictures of my aquarium

While I think the bigger, more aggressive puffers are very cool, I think they work best as a second tank. I always find a community tank to be much more rewarding if it is the only fish tank in your home.

Check out the Brackish Water Aquarium FAQ; over the last ten years people have contributed a lot of really useful stuff to it.

Cheers,

Neale

Blake said:
Hello,

I'm just starting out in brackish, not much experience at all really, and I'm in the process of setting up a 40 long.  The tank has been through its begining cycle and I picked up some mollies about a little over a week ago now, which seem to be doing well (today I found fry in the tank, so I'm taking that as a good sign. :).

On to my question.  A friend of mine got me wanting to set up a brackish to house a GSP or two.  While I still like the idea of the puffer, I'm not 100% sold on it, so I figured I'd ask if anyone here had any suggestions for brackish fish that would work well in a 40 long.

Thanks,
Blake
[snapback]847950[/snapback]​
 
Blake,
I think your friend is brilliant, handsome, sauve, devonaire, etc!! puffers are among the fish with the most personality in the keeping scene.

If you want a community tank you can have mine...I mean his!! and I...I mean he...will do puffers. :whistle:
 
Ha!

Actually, I was reading that the South American Puffer seems to be not quite as agressive. I wonder how this puffer would do with other fish...

-Blake

JJ1234567 said:
Blake,
I think your friend is brilliant, handsome, sauve, devonaire, etc!! puffers are among the fish with the most personality in the keeping scene.

If you want a community tank you can have mine...I mean his!! and I...I mean he...will do puffers. :whistle:
[snapback]849984[/snapback]​
 

Most reactions

Back
Top