Stocking ideas! New 65 gallon :)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

squidneh

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am moving into a new place and can finally get a larger fish tank. I love my current 20 gallon set up but I had a 75 gallon a few years ago and I miss it dearly. My new tank is going to be a 65 gallon tank.

My future tank will definitely be planted as I already have several Java Ferns and Anubias plants that are reproducing like crazy. My water parameters are pH: 7.2, gH: 10, kH: 5. I do not have a heater currently but temp hangs out around 72 year round and I will get a heater if needed in my new place.

Current stock that will be moving into new tank: 12 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 otocinclus. I would like to up my school of Otos as I feel they do better in larger numbers but I'm having trouble sourcing them currently. But I'd like to get them up to 10. 3 of my 4 are established adults and they are CHUNKY lol. 1 is a new addition and a little baby still.

I'm open to a lot of ideas. I've considered just upping my Harlequin school, but I think my fiance would appreciate some kind of centerpiece fish, so I was thinking maybe an Angelfish? And maybe ceterpiece fish/fishes to inhabit the lower level of the tank as the otos mostly stay hidden in the plants and my rasboras are mid-upper level swimmers.

I really don't like gouramis and will not consider them.

As a side thought, I'm thinking about changing from my current pool filter sand substrate to a black substrate/sand...or maybe doing a dirt bottom and topping it with sand...

It's been a long time since I got to set up a new tank so I'm excited! I love redoing my 20 gallon from time to time but I can't wait to have more space.

I wouldn't do angelfish, they need warmer temperatures than your otos need.

What about a pair of apistogrammas? Agassizii's apistogramma would be a good one with your water i believe. Could have a couple pairs in that tank size!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back