Stocking Ideas HELP!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TetraMan2007

Reaction score
This is my first time using this website, so please understand if there is any mistakes. I have a ten gallon aquarium with 6 neon Tetra. It previously had 5 ghost shrimp and 4 guppies. Now that those fish have died, my tetras look kind of lonely in there. I was wondering if there is any fish that could go with them. I am looking for a peaceful fish that is a “centerpiece fish”. I thought about a betta, But I didn’t want to take the risk. Also is there any kind of algae eater for a 10 gallon? Some algae is building up. I have done extensive research but have not found a fish that is available at my local fish store. any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. this is my first tank, so I want a fish that is Hardy and adaptable to different water parameters.

Welcome to the forum!

@TetraMan2007 10 gallons is quite a small tank, and centrepiece don't usually look right in small tanks. In my opinion, you would be better of without a single fish as a centrepiece.

Viking asked about your GH (or hardness) because we should aim to keep fish that come from water with the same hardness as our tap water. For example, neon tetras come from soft water, while the guppies that died are hard water fish.
We don't like to suggest fish until we know if a member has hard, soft or middling water. The first thing is to look on your water provider's website for 'hardness'. You need a number and the unit of measurement rather than vague words. The unit is important as there are around half a dozen they could use. Once we know your GH, you will get lots of suggestions :)

Honestly the best algae eaters for a small aquarium are probably shrimp. But as essjay said, water parameters, mostly pH and GH are necessary to know for us to help you. Neon tetras are generally captive bred at this point, at least where I am, so they are very adaptable when it comes to parameters. But soft water fish tend to have difficulties in hard water and vice versa, so knowing your pH and GH is very helpful.

My hardness is about 50 (I think) and my PH is neutral ( about 7). When I said centerpiece, I meant a colorful fish that does not need to be in a school.

Presumably the GH at 50 would be in ppm, not degrees, and if correct this would indicate very soft water.

As others have mentioned, this tank (10g) is a small space but there are quite a number of small-sized fish species (often termed "nano" fish) suited to soft water. You have the six neon tetra now, so assuming you intend keeping them let's work around these. Three or four more would not be a bad idea from the fish's perspective. Substrate fish could include a group of one of the "dwarf" cory species, like Corydoras pygmaeus, in a group of 9-12. With plants, even if just floating (ideal) and weekly partial water changes this is workable.

How bout a dwarf gourami?

I've never kept em, but I think it would work.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Is there any top dwelling nano fish too? If I have mid and bottom dwelling fish, could I get some sort of cool fish up top? That would make the tank look fuller.

As far as dwarf Gourami, I have had one when I was little and killed all of the other fish in the tank with it. Turns out they are related to Bettas.

I have 3 crypts as far as plants. And do the Pygmy Corydoras eat algae? I have a bit of an algae build up.

No, cories do not eat algae. Algae needs corrective handling, so this requires some detail.

First, what type of algae? Normal green algae will occur in any aquarium and is actually a good thing as it is "natural," and it grows on the biofilm along with other things like bacteria and microscopic this and that, and most fish will browse or graze surfaces looking for edible this or that. If the algae begins overtaking things, especially plants, that is what I term "problem" algae and this is always caused by an imbalance of light/nutrients. The only safe and effective way to deal with problem algae is to find the "problem" in the light/nutrient balance and resolve it.

There are some fish that will graze common algae, but very few fish will deal with "problem" algae, and in this small a tank the very few fish that might are far too large and inappropriate. Snails will eat algae, though not usually sufficiently to deal with "problem" algae. Shrimp also will eat algae.

A photo of the tank might help us sort this out.

As far as dwarf Gourami, I have had one when I was little and killed all of the other fish in the tank with it. Turns out they are related to Bettas.

Yes, gourami and bettas are in the same group, anabantids. Aggressive tendencies vary among gourami species, but that is another long story. I would in any case not consider them for this tank.

Is there any top dwelling nano fish too? If I have mid and bottom dwelling fish, could I get some sort of cool fish up top? That would make the tank look fuller.

The problem here is the tank size and the neon tetras you already have so we must work around them. A few more will help them, and if you are going to have this species it is better to provide what they expect than not, for their sake.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back