Stocking ideas for 125l(33 US gallons) community tank pls

tinyelf75

Reaction score
Hi there, I am fairly new to the hobby. I have a 70l tank with 5 neon tetras, 5 black neon tetras, 3 bronze cordoras, 1 male siamese fighting fish. I would like to move these across to my new tank (125l) and only have one tank running as my parents will only let me have 1 tank. does any one have any ideas for more fish I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance
Alfie

Get rid of the Siamese fighting fish, add 6 Flame tetras, 8-10 Ember tetras and 5 more Neons.

Congo Tetras are also a very nice fish.

6 more cories, bronze or one other type. Leave the siamese fighter in the 70l. Explain to your parents that they are territorial and don't get on with other fish - all the fish involved can suffer stress and subsequent health problems.

Siamese Fighting Fish are best kept alone for both their own stress levels and your other fishes stress levels. Plus the other fishes safety. The clue is in the name.
If they were all bought from the same place and they knew they were going into the same tank you’d be best taking your trade elsewhere. They’ve not got your or your fishes interests at heart.

Get more Corydoras as they need company.

Siamese Fighting Fish are best kept alone for both their own stress levels and your other fishes stress levels. Plus the other fishes safety. The clue is in the name.
If they were all bought from the same place and they knew they were going into the same tank you’d be best taking your trade elsewhere. They’ve not got your or your fishes interests at heart.

Get more Corydoras as they need company.
Okay will get some more corydoras and try to pusade my parents to let me have 2 tanks running (70l for siamese fighting fish) and the rest in the 120l if not then I know a friend that might have him... Thanks!

Edit: How many corydoras should I get?

Get rid of the Siamese fighting fish, add 6 Flame tetras, 8-10 Ember tetras and 5 more Neons.

Congo Tetras are also a very nice fish.
sounds cool... will have to search up about the flame tetras as I have no clue what they are lol

6 more cories, bronze or one other type. Leave the siamese fighter in the 70l. Explain to your parents that they are territorial and don't get on with other fish - all the fish involved can suffer stress and subsequent health problems.
okay am deffinatly leaving the siamese fighting fish in the 70l, or might hand him over to a friend as he has a spare 35l tank. Thanks!

Okay will get some more corydoras and try to pusade my parents to let me have 2 tanks running (70l for siamese fighting fish) and the rest in the 120l if not then I know a friend that might have him... Thanks!

Edit: How many corydoras should I get?
Five or six. But others on here know a lot more about them than me. London water is far too hard for their good health.

Total of 9 to 12 in your new tank. If 9, these could be all bronze OR 4-5 bronze and 4-5 of another corydoras type.
They need a small group of their own kind to feel comfortable but then are usually happy to bimble about with other cories as well.
You could add another 5 or so neons/ black neons as well.

Total of 9 to 12 in your new tank. If 9, these could be all bronze OR 4-5 bronze and 4-5 of another corydoras type.
They need a small group of their own kind to feel comfortable but then are usually happy to bimble about with other cories as well.
You could add another 5 or so neons/ black neons as well.
sounds good... instead of 5 more neons would 5 ember tetras go well and would they shoal with the other tetras?

Different tetra species only shoal with other species out of desperation when there aren't enough of their own species. Since you already have 5 each of neons and black neons, I would increase their numbers to at least 10 of each. We always say that 6 is the minimum number, but that's what it is - the minimum. More is always better.

And more cories, preferably the same species.

Okay thanks for the advice everyone. I think I have made my decision.
.10 neon tetras
.10 black neon tetras
.8 bronze corydoras
.2 nertile snails
Are these Okay? Thanks

Sounds good.

Re the betta and the 70 litre, if your parents don't like the idea of a 125 plus a 70 litre tank, how would they feel about a 25-ish litre tank for the betta instead of the 70?

okay am deffinatly leaving the siamese fighting fish in the 70l, or might hand him over to a friend as he has a spare 35l tank. Thanks!
Could you swap out your 70l for your friend's 35l tank? The 35l is a great size for a siamese fighter as it gives them plenty of swimming room without them looking lost in a bigger, mostly empty, tank. Plus with it being smaller it is less intrusive in a living room so parents might enjoy it being there if it is aquascaped well

My experience with fighters is that they're happiest on their own. Some might tolerate other fish in their tank but remember that is all they are doing, tolerating them.

Okay thanks for the advice everyone. I think I have made my decision.
.10 neon tetras
.10 black neon tetras
.8 bronze corydoras
.2 nertile snails
Are these Okay? Thanks
Snails are like marmite. I hate them, even just 2 can leave your entire tank coated in little white snail eggs that need to be scraped off with a razor.

If you want an alternative consider this.

10 x dwarf pencil fish (top dwellers)
10 x black neons (mid dwellers)
8 x bronze or panda corys (bottom dwellers)
When the tank is starting to get a coating of algae consider otocinclus instead of snails but you'll need a good bunch of them.

What almost all novice fish keepers do is take 3 of those, 1 of those, 2 of those and 5 of those at the fish store and then wonder why they all hide or fight and die in a month. If you can return one variety of neons and stick with the other as you can have a much larger school of then and they behave differently.

The behaviour of 10 tetra is considerably different to just 5. Now consider how 30+ of them would behave. You will see this tight close schooling and directional swimming that, with black neons from distance, almost looks like clouds floating around the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back