Stocking Help - Rainbowfish

parker313

Back Again
Reaction score
I have the meanest rainbowfish in the world apparently. Everything I've read about them says they're nice and active but peaceful. Not mine.

I had 3 Boesemanis, 3 Splendid and 3 Turquoise. One of the Boesemanis and one of the splendids were bigger than the others, but the other 2 of each and the turquoises were all the same size. Well, the Boesemanis and the Splendids banded together and killed the 3 Turqs.

After that, I didn't know what I wanted to do - try more rainbows or something else entirely. I went with 2 good sized angels - probably 4-5" not including fins. The mean rainbows killed one of the angels and started in on the other but luckily I rescued it and returned it to the lfs.

After all of that, I just didn't know what to do so I got 2 green severums. They're juvies at *maybe* 3" each, but still, they're not exactly wimps. I know Sevs aren't aggressive for cichlids but I sure didn't think I'd have any problems.

I was wrong. I still can't believe this is happening, but one of the Sevs has schooled up with the rainbows and now they're picking on the other Sev!!!!

I want to take this Sev back to the lfs since I knew when I got them that they weren't permanent occupants of my tank b/c they'd get too big.

But jeez, what do I do with these demon rainbows?! If I didn't think it would mean completely dismantling my tank to get them out, I'd take them back to the lfs and start from scratch with one Sev and my cories.

Any advice here would be VERY welcomed!!!!
--Kristin

PS - No, my rainbows aren't spawning, they're just mean. :S

It does sound like you have demon rainbows. I have 5 Boesemani rainbows in my biggest tank and they are very peacful and never bother or chase the other fish. infact they are more cowardly than the gold tetras LOL!

Ben

Rainbows are schooling fish. When you keep them in such small numbers, and mainly males, and mixed species, you see behaviors which are not normal. Pick one species and get at least 5, mixed sex with more females than males, and these problems should go away.

Thanks luxum. That must be it. I thought that since my rainbows were all schooling together that it meant they were OK. The boesemanis are definitely all male, but I'm having a harder time sexing the others. Unfortunately, female boesemanis are kinda hard to find b/c they aren't as "pretty" as the males :/

Stay safe this weekend and early next week.

I think the males are much more colourful. Also I'd go with luxum's idea, or try some more aggressive cichlids, like convicts. Those should definitely keep the rainbows in check.

Yeah, I didn't want to lose my cories to some aggressive convicts!!!

Boesemanis - the females are much drabber. I've never seen one, they barely ever even have pictures of them online.

Problem solved. I took everyone back to the lfs.

I had moved my 5 neons from my 10g with my rams to the big tank so I returned the rainbowfish and the severums and came back home with 6 baby angelfish and 5 more neon tetras.

Yes, I know that angels eat neons in the wild and I know I'm taking that risk :p

The angels are settling in - I got some really beautiful ones :wub: :wub: :wub:

Well that seems like a much better solution. You're lucky you can just waltz into your LFS and exchange fish whenever you feel like it lol. I wish I could do that, although I have a feeling my tank's inhabitants would be changing weekly if I had that opportunity. I think convicts would be okay in a community tank unless they were a spawning pair.

Yeah, that's true on the cons. I had 2 cons in a community tank with tiger barbs and Bolivian rams and gouramis and they were all fine. I might have just had peaceful cons :dunno:

Yes, I am very lucky to have such a fantastic lfs. They are absolutely amazing. It's always the same 2 guys working every time I go in there - and the one guy (the owner)'s wife. They are all very nice and knowledgable.

With all the fiascos I've had, they've given me half price credit on what I return and since it's always my choice to return things I couldn't ask for more than that :p

Yeah today I went out and got a new blue diamond discus and 2 new clown loaches for my existing discus and clown loach. They seem much happier now, and everything is settling in nicely.

Most reactions

Back